Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Salon - October 4


Well I'm doing it: Hosting my first challenge which will begin on January 1, 2010.  I needed to motivate myself to improve the quality of my reads, especially since I'm not getting any younger...LOL

So if you, like me, have been thinking about "quality", you can read more about Books To Read Before I Die here.  I hope some of you will join me in the challenge.

Talking about books, curious how the book The Lost Symbol; Dan Brown was made (assembled)? Adam, of Letters on the Page, featured this cool video. Click here to view it.

My Week in Books:

  • Completed:  A Change in Altitude; Anita Shreve and No Time to Wave Goodbye; Jacquelyn Mitchard.
  • I am currently reading A Brutal Telling; Louise Penny (it's terrific).
  • I donated (40) books this past week to the library, to make room for more that I will be more likely to read.
  • And while this, only in part, has something to do with books, and might appeal to "cat lovers-like me" a bit more. Here is a watercolor we purchased last week at an art studio next to The Book Mill. (I'm thinking it will look terrific in my reading loft).



So today will just be a stay home day: football for him, and reading and cooking for me. How was your week? Reading anything really good?

18 comments:

  1. I am feeling a bit guilty--I've been reading too many blogs, and not enough books. But at least I've been able to get my books more organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Book Mill sounds absolutely fabulous. The next time I am out there (which is never), I must make a point to visit it.

    Wow, who knew so much went into a book cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure there will be some football watching in our house today too.

    I finished listening to the audiobook of A Northern Light by Jennifer Connelly this week, and it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic challenge. Good luck with your first one. I shall have a think about it and see what books I really want to read.

    Have a lovely day, it sounds so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane! I've only read AIRHEAD: BEING NIKKI (the second book in the AIRHEAD trilogy) by Meg Cabot, and enjoyed it.

    That cat painting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your challenge sounds like a good one. I might be signing up for it! Have a good rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also donated books to the library this week for their sale, but unfortunately came back out with almost just as many!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a great challenge- and the book mill sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read 31 Hours this week and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though I'm a dog person, I still love that watercolor! Hope you'll treat us to a photo of your book loft one of these days. Will be thinking about a list for your challenge this week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful watercolor, it will look great in your reading loft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A day of watching football and relaxing sounds wonderful...and what I have planned for myself as well. Along with some reading of course. I'm off to check out your challenge..enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a lovely Sunday! Thanks for the links, which I will check out.

    My Sunday Salon is on my Accidental Life blog at:

    http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/

    BTW, I am so JEALOUS that you get to visit that fabulous The Book Mill!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The library is going to be very happy to see you:) We are hoping to make a trip to MA (for baseball and book-related sightseeing) in 2010...I hope we can include The Book Mill in our itinerary. Thank you for directing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cooking AND reading... my favourite kind of day! Throw in knitting and I'm in heaven!

    Whatcha cookin'?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I guess I should take a look at my Should be Read list, and pick out 10 books! The challenge sounds like a great idea! And thanks for the link to the book cover process- very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've had a good week - productive, too, with donating books to the library.

    Your new print is sweet - enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that picture!! Our day was wet and windy so I felt no guilt by doing laundry, baking a cake, and then making the boys eat leftovers while I finished The Last Dickens. Now I have to think about what books I want to read before I kick the bucket!! Fun challenge and I will be signing up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.