Sunday, October 11, 2009

155 - Evil at Heart; Chelsea Cain


Evil at Heart, by Chelsea Cain, is book #3 of a series which features serial killer, Gretchen Lowell, and Detective Archie Sheridan, who have played a game of cat and mouse in the first two books: Heartsick, and Sweetheart.  Although the author uses flashbacks in each novel, which is helpful for recall, or to those who have not read the prior books, this series is so good, I'd recommend reading the books in order to get the full gruesome effect.

Gretchen is a sexy, serial killer, know as the "Beauty Killer". Sensationalized by the media, there is even a tour bus that visits the sites around Portland, Oregon where her victims were found.  She leaves her trademark on her victims, similar mutilating marks on the body, and removal of various body parts (eyeballs being a specialty).

I don't want to give away any details so just let me say, if you don't mind a gruesome story with lots of graphic detail, this psychological thriller is not to be missed. Fast-paced and extremely creepy, this book did not disappoint.  I can't tell if there will be a book #4 to this series, but I certainly hope so.  ---RECOMMENDED

(This review was based on a library book I borrowed :)

Here is a link to a brief YouTube video about this book (you'll get the feel of it without giving the plot away).....CLICK HERE.

9 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this series and have the first book around here somewhere. I am glad to hear the series continues to hold up. Great review, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting storyline. You don't normally have the same murderer appearing in each book. I really do need to read more thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read the first one but really liked it - gruesomeness and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know that you enjoyed the book and the series. Books that feature flashback sequences can sometimes be a little difficult for me to enjoy, but it sounds like this one used the technique really effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read several great reviews of Chelsea Cain's books. I'd want to start with book 1, like you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is another great review about this series. I have the first one on my Christmas wish list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED the first two in this series. Totally gruesome.
    I am on the list for this one at the library...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say, you don't often have female serial killers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the first one, but didn't enjoy the second. I hope that this one can bring me back into the fold.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.