Wednesday, October 28, 2009

168 - The Time of My Life; Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi








I was so looking forward to this memoir by Patrick Swayze and his wife, Lisa Niemi, and I was not disappointed.  The memoir begins with a brief overview of Patrick's diagnosis and 20 month battle with pancreatic cancer, which began in January of 2008. But this story is not all about his illness, in fact just the beginning and the end talk about his battle with cancer.  Instead, The Time of My Life, is really more a story about Patrick Swayze's life.  From his humble beginnings, to his love for family, to how he met his wife Lisa, who was the love of his life for some 34 years. Patrick Swayze's successful career on stage, screen and television is described in detail, and it is easy to see how he became one of the most loved actors of his time.

The last section of this memoir touches a bit more on Patrick's cancer battle, his treatment, and the struggles with the disease he, with his wife at his side, endured. Initially I was a bit concerned that this memoir might be too sad for me, as pancreatic cancer has touched the lives of two of my family members, but that was not the case. This book was more of a celebration of Patrick's life, and it does not dwell on his illness nor his death. Patrick Swayze died with his family by his side on September 14, 2009, at age 57. This memoir, The Time of My Life,  is a beautiful tribute to his life. RECOMMENDED
.

14 comments:

  1. I thought this would be a sad book too. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful man. His films played such a big part of my teenage years. I am glad to hear this is a good book. I hope to read it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful tribute to a fantastic actor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen much of Patrick Swayze's work, but what I have seen I've really liked. It sounds like he was a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking of reading this but thought the same as you, that it might make me too sad. I really miss him. He was and still is one of my favorite actors. They've been replaying a lot of his movies and I keep getting teary eyed knowing such a great talent is now gone but I'll keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think I will read it but I have to wait a little while because I know it would be too emotional for me right now. I really liked Swayze as an actor and it was a great shame that he passed away so young.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fantastic - great review. I would really like to read this book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing how a movie can crystallize memories of a person and how that translates with a memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fell in love with him in Red Dawn and again in North and South...from there he's always been one of my favorite actors of all time. I think he was a wonderful human. I love the fact that he and his wife were married for over 34 years...unheard of in Hollywood. I will read this one for sure. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything I've read about him indicates that he was just a decent, stand-up guy. So sad that he left the world too soon. Nice to hear this was a celebration of his life.

    And you had asked about inserting notes into the Kindle. I don't do it much myself but you should be able to look it up on the user guide that comes installed on every Kindle. There is a ton of info in there and you can look it up in the index or do a search. I look stuff in there all the time. Or, you can look online at Amazon -- they have the stuff listed there too in the Kindle section.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good! I really like what you said about it being a celebration of life rather than a book about his illness and death.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved Patrick Swayze and was so sad about his passing. I really want to get a chance to read this book, especially knowing that it deals with the triumphs of his life, rather than dwelling on his death. Thanks for the great review. I am really glad you liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a great book. I still can't believe he's gone.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.