Sunday, October 4, 2009

152 - The Brutal Telling; Louise Penny





This is the first novel I've read by Louise Penny, and I must say that I am sorry, I've waited this long. The Brutal Telling is the fifth novel in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.

(p. 3) "Chaos is coming old son, and there is no stopping it. It's taken a long time, but it is finally here".

The story takes place in Canada -- Surete du Quebec, in a quaint little village known as Three Pines. A hermit, that no one in the village seems to know is found dead in the town's popular bistro. His death does not appear to be an accident, and his death occurred elsewhere. The dental examination on the victim, indicates some expensive work had been done in the past. So the hermit was not always poor, appeared to be in his 70's, but upon examination was more likely in his 50's. What happened to age him so much? Who was the victim? Why was he killed? Who killed him? What was the murder weapon? Where was he murdered? Why was he moved?

As Inspector Gamache and his team begin to investigate, it seems like several people could be suspects. As layers of lies are stripped away and the truth begins to come to the surface,  one thing is clear. It appears that in the tight-knit community of Three Pines, most everyone seems to have their secrets.

My Thoughts: This light mystery drew me in from the very beginning, and held my interest until the truly surprising conclusion. The writing style was great, and I love when an author can make me experience the sights, the smells and the feel of a novel as Penny did. An eccentric cast of well-developed characters, combined with the warm small town charm, made this the perfect book to curl up with on a cool fall night. I will surely be looking forward to reading the first four books in the Inspector Gamache series. I really enjoyed this story. I think it might have even been more enjoyable, had I known a little more about the characters from her earlier novels.  (I'll be looking for these as well). Thanks to Shelf Awareness and Tara Cibelli of St Martin's Press for sending an advance copy my way.

Recommended.

15 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to be enjoying this book - I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this series in my TBR. I haven't started it yet, but your review makes me want to! Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no...now another one to put on my list. I love mysteries in the fall. Do you need to read the first one first in the series?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane! This one sounds good. This is the first time I heard about this series. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have vowed to read Still Life, the first book in this series, sometime before the end of 2009. I have heard nothing but great reviews for her writing style, but unfortunately I am one of those readers that must start with the first book in any series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought The Brutal Telling was excellent and it was the first Penny novel for me too. It's a stand alone book in my opinion but it surely wouldn't hurt to have read the four preceding ones. I want to start the series from the beginning as I really liked her style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have the series waiting to be read. I will have to start them sooner than later. Have a great Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of the books in this series, but they look compelling, and after reading your review I am going to check out the first in the series. I am glad you liked this one so much, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a weakness for mysteries, and this one sounds good. Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too read this book and enjoyed it. I really felt like I was in Three Pines. I too am looking to read the first books in the series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to read Louise Penny's first Inspector Gamache novel for a long time but haven't gotten round to it yet. Your review has made me want to read it even more, especially since there are more than one book to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been putting off reading this because I haven't read the previous books in the series, but I guess I just need to plunge on in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even though I thought this one was good, it was not my favorite. You have some very good reading ahead of you when you start at the beginning! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.