Sunday, October 25, 2009

24 Hour Read-a-Thon - End of Event meme and Summary

(Me..right now)

End of event Meme Questions

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour #21.


2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? A good audio book thriller - audio books work great for this event. I read Sworn to Silence. There was some explicit gore, but it kept my interest. Regular print books should be short!


3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Not really (too tired to think).

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The cheer leaders meant a lot to me as a reader (I did some cheerleading as well)

5. How many books did you read? 6

6. What were the names of the books you read? Gift from the Sea (138 pages) ; Zen and the Art of Happiness (142 pages); Runaway Mummy (30 pages) , Miss Smith and the Haunted Library (30 pages) , and Haunted Island: True Ghost Stories from Martha's Vineyard (141 pages), and one audio book : Sworn to Silence.

7. Which book did you enjoy most? Gift from the Sea.

8. Which did you enjoy least? I actually liked all of them in their own way.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Your role is important, comment, comment, comment.

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?  Loved it. I'd read and cheer, just as I did this year.  It was fun visiting other blogs as well as reading.

End of Event Totals
Time Reading: about 13 hours
Pages Read: 602 plus audio book equivalent to 336 page = 938 pages total
Books Read: 6
Mini-Challenges Completed: 7
Time Blogging and cheering: about 7 hours
Total Comments: 155
$100 raised for Pancreatic Cancer Action Network

21 comments:

  1. Love that Owl picture you posted! You read a lot and $100 raised is awesome!!!! Take a nap today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. audio book will definitely make me drift off and sleep. lol. But I'm glad it worked for you.

    Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the owl as well. $100? super job. How did you figure it out?....or is there I post I need to look for. gads...heading to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did fantastically! Have a good day of catching up on sleep (it appears you don't need to catch up on reading!) :--)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you! By the time I heard about some of the details of this event, I knew I couldn't do it this year. But I had fun going around and commenting when people had little posts up.

    Awesome outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Diane! You did a fab job. That last hour has come and gone! Thanks so much for your support and encouragement. I had a great time, and glad you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree: comments are so important to this event! Congrats on reading 6 books. :) And your charity money is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it!! I turned in at hour 19. I was okay but bored with my reading choices and totally forgot about Her Fearful Symmetry and I didn't want to start it right then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! Congratulations on a successful read-a-thon and for the money you raised!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad the cheerleaders helped you out in your reading. I personally was getting pretty exhausted as a cheerleader, so it's nice to know it makes an impact :-)

    Good work on the charity, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Book Dragon asked how I arrived at the $100- charity amount raised. I was explained in my initial post:

    I will be donating $1.00 for each comment left on my blog during the 24-hour period of the read-a-thon, and an additional $5.00 for each NEW follower on my blog during the same period. (Maximum donation to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network will be $100.00).

    Had I not put maximum donation $100- , the actually number based on comments and new subscribers would have been $185.00.

    BTW...I just slept 3 hours, but still feel zonked and a headache to boot. Even the shower has not helped...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on reaching the end, Diane! It sounds like you had a lot of fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you read some terrific books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on all you accomplished - the reading, the fun, and the fundraising!

    Like others have said, the owl photo is striking; bed-head and all :)

    I hope you had a restful Sunday and that your headache went away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't Gift from the Sea just beautiful? : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. You read 6 books? WOW! Congratulations on the completion! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you did great! And congrats on a successful fundraiser!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on completing some mini challenges and on your fundraiser $. Now take a nap with BOTH eyes closed :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. 13 hours is wonderful! I've wanted to read Gift from the Sea for awhile. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.