Monday, October 26, 2009

161 - Gift From the Sea; Anne Morrow Lindbergh


First written in 1955, this book was written on a brief solo vacation by the author. Amazingly the author used the imagery of shells as a symbol of the different stages in a woman's life.  The author composed some meditations for the various stages of life: youth, aging, love, marriage, solitude, peace and contentment.  Especially memorable was a section of "simplifying one's life", and to take to to reconcile our personal needs without feeling guilty about doing something for us. 

For those of you who are not familiar with this lovely book, the author was a mother, and wife to pilot Charles Lindbergh. Although the book was first written some 55 years ago, the message is still important to today's modern woman  It is important to finds personal fulfillment  in life. You must find the right balance and inner peace within yourself, before you can share those qualities with others.

This little gem of a book should be read by every woman trying who tires to do everything for everyone. This is my second time reading this book. Highly Recommended


12 comments:

  1. One of my good friends gave this to me as a gift many, many years ago. I think it is time for a re-read. Thanks for reminding me!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds lovely. I actually have a personal penchant for all things involving the sea, so I'll definitely want to check this one out. Any tips I get to help me keep my inner and outer balance will just be a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my wish list for a while - you're not the first person to say it's marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with this, but it sounds like something I'd love. Thanks for bringing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this for the first time about 3 years ago and absolutely LOVED it. You have reminded me that I should read again sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I do need to read this one ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to get my hands on this ever since Jenners reviewed it on her blog a short time ago. Shells are so miraculous; I can see how they would inspire poetic musings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's time for me to reread this lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in the "I've got to re-read" this camp! My copy was a gift from my mother; what a lovely little book. Thanks for the reminder, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book too and recommend it to all my good friends. I love the shell metaphor she uses and I think it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also love this one. It is so gentle and such a beautiful read; I've given to my engaged friends a few times as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one sounds like a meaningful book to read. You read it twice so it must be really, really good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.