Tuesday, February 12, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (2) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.  Care to join us? Feel free to grab the image and link your post below.

This week I'm featuring an intro from :The Black Isle, by Sandi Tan


Hachette - July 2012
PART ONE

The Haunted

" Anyone who has lived as long as I have, and who has done the things I have, knows there will come a reckoning.  Mine announced its arrival quietly--in a library, no less. 

Every Saturday, like a faithful grave-tender, I would go to visit a certain book at the Archive of Wartime Affairs.  The book was part of my private curriculum--my research, if you will--not that I ever had to worry about secrecy.  This being 2010, the Archive, perched atop a crumbling  billiards parlor, is little known and even less loved."

What do you think ? -- Would you keep reading?  (I have not started this one yet - but am thinking about it - I liked the intro)

Please feel free to link below:


 


17 comments:

  1. The cover doesn't attract me but that first para is good - and it mentions a library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely curious...it all seems so mysterious. Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I like the cover. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the Black Isle a part of Scotland? Looks like another good historical novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like that intro and would keep reading.

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure about the intro, but I like the cover, so I would read a little further. I hardly every put down a book, once I have started it. I hope you keep reading and will let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The intro has made me curious, so I'd keep reading. I'm not crazy about the cover either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always the search for a book to love. Hope this one does it for you. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I definitely would, especially because of that first quote. It sets up so much, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitly keep reading this book. Had you only posted the opening quote I would have shoted Yes! It's too good and too loaded with mystery to pass up!

    Great choice, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVE that cover. The way the young woman's hair floats to the side, hovering over the still water...
    and the idea of the archive perched atop a crumbling billiard hall calls me in. I'm wondering what things they've done; very mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd keep on reading. I like that a book is mentioned right away.

    I need to give this meme a try! Maybe "mix" it with my own Tuesday meme, RRT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very good beginning to a story. There's just enough unknown there that I'm curious enough to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds so mysterious. I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I would keep reading. There's a mystery beginning to develop and I am already wondering what it is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.