Monday, February 4, 2013

The Racketeer; John Grisham

Title: The Racketeer
Author: John Grisham
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Random House Audio
Edition:  audio book

Source: library
Date Completed: February - 2013 
Rating: 3.5/5 
Recommend: it depends




In John Grisham's latest offering, The Racketeer, Malcolm (Mal) Bannister the story's protagonist was a black lawyer and former Marine serving a ten year sentence in a minimum security prison in Maryland. He has been charged with  money laundering, but claims he is innocent. Having served half of his sentence he is anxious to get out of prison and may just have his chance.

A Federal Court Judge Raymond Fawcett is found dead in his remote cabin at the lake; his secretary is also found dead there.  The cabin is so remote that unless someone knew it was there, it would be nearly impossible to find - electricity even. The FBI doesn't have much to go on in solving this case either.  Malcolm claims that he can help them, claiming he knows why the judge was killed and who may be responsible. Of course he wants something in return. He'll talk in exchange for Rule 35 (a reduction in sentence given to individuals for providing info which leads to the the arrest and prosecution in another case.

The story rolls out slowly and I found it interesting to listen to on audio; the narrator was J.D. Jackson who was very good.  I was curious how this story was going to end and I did like the surprise ending, but certain parts of the story were quite unrealistic. If you can suspend belief, give it a try.

15 comments:

  1. I have never read anything by Grisham. Hard to believe isn't it. I'm not sure I'd want to read his stuff but I bet I'd like listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually enjoy Grisham books, so I'd probably like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane,

    John Grisham is another of those authors, like James Patterson, whose books became so many and so predictable, that I stopped reading them some time ago.

    Funnily enough, I had a copy of this book donated into the charity shop where I volunteer, only a few days ago. I read the synopsis and wondered if I should buy it and give Grisham a second chance, however I decided against it, put it out for sale and it has already gone!!

    Having read your post, I now wish that I had kept it to one side, so I shall definitely be keeping my eyes open for another copy coming in. For me, it would definitely also have to be a print copy, as I don't do audio books, although I know that so many of you out there, love them!

    Nice review, as always.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a Grisham book since the 90's, and this one intrigues me. I would love to listen to this one as well, and see what I think. I usually don't have a problem suspending my sense of disbelief, so this should be a good listen for me! Very nice review today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might be woth a listen on audio! Thanks for telling us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this in print, but maybe I'll listen instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did have to suspend belief for this one but I thought it was worth it. J. D. Jackson's voice is smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your honest review of this audio book, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It just feels like Grisham has lost his mojo, doesn't it? I don't mind suspending belief but too much of having to do that and I don't find the book satisfying in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the "it depends." I would probably not read this one because I feel that it wouldn't speak to me for some reason! I used to gobble up all of his books but haven't read one in a long long time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually enjoy Grisham's books even though I tend to know what's coming. I haven't read this one yet

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm listening to this now and really on the fence about it. I hope it does get better (sounds like it does). I read it only because poeple were saying this was like "Classic" Grisham.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uh oh - we've been on the library list for ages for this one (starting at 149 and now we're 13th in line. Kind of hoping you would have given it a little better rating. Grisham's last one was so good I was hoping he was back in the groove and that this one would be stellar. Well, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think he's books have gone down hill in recent years, but I loved some of his early ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grisham is hot or miss with me, usually more of a miss, but there are sometimes I'm just really in the mood for legal thrills. This one looks like it could be good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.