Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday - Elinor Lipman

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.
This week's pick is another one that I just learned about yesterday. I've really had some great reading experiences with this author - so looking forward to this one.


Houghton Mifflin Harcourt- April 16th

The View from Penthouse B  

(from author's website)

Unexpectedly widowed Gwen-Laura Schmidt is still mourning her husband, Edwin, when her older sister Margot invites her to join forces as roommates in Margot's luxurious Village apartment. For Margot, divorced amid scandal (hint: her husband was a fertility doctor) and then made Ponzi-poor, it's a chance to shake Gwen out of her grief and help make ends meet. To further this effort she enlists a third boarder, the handsome, cupcake-baking Anthony.

As the three swap money-making schemes and timid Gwen ventures back out into the dating world, the arrival of Margot's paroled ex in the efficiency apartment downstairs creates not just complications but the chance for all sorts of unexpected forgiveness. A sister story about love, loneliness, and new life in middle age, this is a cracklingly witty, deeply sweet novel from one of our finest comic writers.

18 comments:

  1. Diane, I have not come across this title before, but I like the sound of the synopsis too - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story line is similar to other books I've read but the fact that it's also a comedy makes it stand out. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so enjoy Elinor Lipman's work...and this one is definitely going on my list! What fun!

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! I love, love, love her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read Elinor Lipman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent choice! Elinor Lipman is so entertaining...this one's going on my list!

    Here's my WoW: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/02/waiting-on-wednesday-new-suspense.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not familiar with this author, but I think this book would be a perfect introduction to her! I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound rather interesting, and I am really intrigued by the aspects of the sister's life. It sounds like this might make for a nice page turner for the summer, or spring, when I can sit outside and race through it. Nice pick today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of this one before! I hope you enjoy it, Diane. It does sound like it could be very funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sister stories - this sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh...a new Lipman. That sounds great:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Elinor Lipman - is it just me or does she seem much under-rated? I always find her books sharp and funny. Looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, I agree she is underrated and we have to wait a few years between books which makes a new release all the more exciting IMO.

      Delete
  13. The only thing I've read of hers is The Inn at Lake Devine ... that was fun and funny! Looks like this one could be a more dramatic, but still have its comic moments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds really good. Another one to add to the ever growing list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always give us some great reading Diane and I always enjoy your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.