Tuesday, February 26, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (2) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.  Care to join us? Feel free to grab the image and link your post below.

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book I hope to start this week. All of the reviews I have read have made me curious for more, and it's only $1.99 for the Kindle Edition!


2013 - William Morrow / Harper Collins

PROLOGUE

" The poet A.E. Housman wrote of the 'land of lost content,' and how he can never return to the place where he once was so happy.

When I was younger, I greatly admired the poem's sentiment because I was not old enough to realize how banal it was. The young invariably cherish their youth, incapable of imagining life past thirty.  The notion that the past is more idyllic is absurd.  What we remember is our innocence, strong limbs and physical desire.  Many people are shackled by their past and unable to look ahead with any degree of confidence because they not only don't believe in the future, they don't really believe in themselves."

What do you think? Would you keep reading or move on to something else?
Please feel free to link below:


24 comments:

  1. That's a powerful opening...sounds like something I might be interested in reading.

    Came across you blog last week; it's my first time linking up here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That opener makes me think...ponder. Yes, I want to know more! Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought it yesterday when it was on sale - looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with the sentiment. I'm not sure about the writing. We'll see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading this .. pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, interesting! I saw that it was on sale and almost made the purchase. Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the opening paragraph intriguing and want to know who this character is and why s/he feels this way. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great opening that definitely got my attention. I would continue reading this book especially after seeing Meg's very enthusiastic coment aboutt how much she loved the book.
    I cannot wait to see your thoughts on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would continue reading, at least the first couple of chapters. Ebook @ $1.99, can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to hope on over to kindle and pick this one up. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished this one and was surprised at how much I liked it. Keep reading, you will be surprised too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a pretty good book. Hope you like it.

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/02/teaser-tuesdays_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's easier to look back at things fondly because we don't really remember the dark parts as well ...or what we felt as we went through things...lol

    Good teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your first paragraph is very philosophical today. Lots to think about. I'd read more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds thoughtful--I'd read more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The opener is a maybe. So I went and read the synopsis and now it's a yes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually just bought this book - looks good and has had great advance reviews. I don't think the cover is a good reflection of the story though - too Fifty Shades of Grey perhaps?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, I will be different. I would not read more. It sounds like he is working too hard at trying to sound like a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my favorite books so far this year, and I think the beginning is fairly enticing. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this book. I could not put it down, and I was thinking about it for months after finishing it. The stories of people's lives, a direct consequence of the choices they have made, always resonate with me. And the stupidity of some is doubly enthralling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.