Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday ~ Paris, Edward Rutherfurd



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pick is one that I just learned about yesterday. I know many of my readers adore Paris, so this may be one for your "must read list".

April, 23, 2013 - Doubleday

Paris : City of love. City of revolution.  This thrilling and romantic story opens in La Belle Époque, the golden, hedonistic age of peace and joie de vivre. Moving back and forth in time across centuries, the story unfolds through intimate and vivid tales of self-discovery, divided loyalty, passion, and long-kept secrets both fictional and true, set against the backdrop of the city - from the summit of Montmartre to the Gothic towers of Notre Dame to the grand boulevards of Saint-Germain, from the medieval world of saints and scholars to the modern French ideals of liberté, égalité, fraternité.

The noble family de Cygne have served king and country through the ages, while their ancient enemies the Le Sourds embody the ideals of the French Revolution and the Paris Commune. The two Gascon brothers come from the dangerous slums behind Montmartre, but while Thomas goes to work building the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower, Luc makes a living in the underworld of Pigalle, near the Moulin Rouge. The Blanchards, ruined in the reign of Louis XV, rise again in the age of Napoleon and help establish Paris as the center of art, literature and style that it is today. The American Hadleys, the father a painter, the son a friend of Hemingway, find romance in Paris, while the Jewish Jacob family of art dealers, expelled in the Middle Ages, try to survive in the Second War.

The story of the city is rich indeed: From the days of Notre Dame and the mighty Knights Templar to the expulsion on the Jews;  from the age of heroic Joan of Arc, to cunning Cardinal Richelieu and the bloody conflict between Catholics and Huguenots; from the glittering court of Versailles to the Terror of the French Revolution; from the heyday of the Impressionists to the shame of the Dreyfus Affair, and the tragic mutiny of the First World War; from the 1920s when the writers of the Lost Generation could be found drinking at Les Deux Magots, to the Nazi occupation, and the heroism of the French Resistance.

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful read Diane. I have never been to Paris, it is on the bucket list. Thanks for sharing this book and enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound like a grand and sweeping portrait of a city and the people who have loved it...and fought for it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really interesting, particularly in light of the fact that Paris seems to be figuring in a lot of my books lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an Edw Rutherford fan, having read most of his books, and since I am now in Tale of Two Cities, it seems all my reading lists and challenges must be pushed aside so that I can read Paris!

    I don't know which era in the city's history I'm most excited to read about--they all sound so good.

    Great review--really whetted my appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! I read New York, so this is going on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone else had this for their WoW pick. I want it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I got his London book! I still need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love books in Paris! I'll have to check this one out! Great pick :)

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pick! This one is definitely going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I know somebody who would love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one that I would like to read. Not only for the entertainment, but for the vast amount of historical information. Nice pick today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have dreamed of visiting France and most especially Paris one day! I'm going to participate in the Paris/France month later this year so I will keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like an excellent read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard about this one and definitely want to read it...I love Paris! Here's my WoW: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/02/waiting-on-wednesday-secret-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems there are a lot of books recently featuring Paris and France. This looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh la la! La Belle Époque! This book does sound très bon, worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are waiting on the same title this week! :) Rutherfurd is one of my favorite authors, and having him write about one of my favorite cities is amazing. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read his two novels set in Ireland-they are a good painless way to learn a lot of Irish history

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have Rutherford's Russia, which I still want to read, but I can concur with you on how wonderful his book on Paris must be. I mean, the cover alone...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read Rutherfurd's Sarum many, many years ago, but thought it was outstanding. This is definitely one I want to read. Maybe I'll get the audio, though. Sarum took me SIX months to complete! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.