Tuesday, June 10, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros - What Strange Creatures; Emily Arsenault

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

 What Strange Creatures; Emily Arsenault
William Morrow - July 2014

Tuesday, October 22

"What are you suppose to do on the second night your brother is in jail on a murder charge? Should you watch The Colbert Report? Should you clean the black crud from behind your kitchen faucet? Should you make a smoothie with protein powder?

I did all of these things, trying to forget the prosecutor's words: Her body was found in a wooded area, about ten yards from the side of Highway 114.  According to autopsy reports, she died of strangulation and also had a deep would in her upper left thigh, consistent with assault using a screwdriver or scissors.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading? 
Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below 


18 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the sound of this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That opening certainly got my attention. I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! is my first reaction, but I like the idea of looking at this from a relative's point of view. I'd like to know/read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What an opener. Is he really guilty? I would certainly read on. I hope you're enjoying the rest of the book.

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a first paragraph - I'd definitely keep reading!! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hooked and want to continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I've never thought about being in that position. Interesting. I hope her brother didn't actually do it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  8. def unusual opener & difficult for a family member - what's going to be discovered and explored.. are you already into it ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can definitely imagine this is a good read! It must be very strange to just continue living your life knowing your brother is in jail for murder!
    Thanks for hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are all very good questions and I want to know the answers, so yes I'd keep reading. In fact, I'm off to add this one to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good one! I would read on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds really good, Diane! I like the intro. It has the promise of being a suspenseful read. I hope it continued to be so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the mix of mundane tasks with the horror of the murder. I think it adds impact to the opening. I would continue reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty graphic and gripping! I'd read on for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would definitely read this one. Already wrote the title down. She's is in a traumatic situation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.