Tuesday, June 24, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros - The Transcriptionist; Amy Rowland

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? (Started this one at lunch and enjoying it)
The Transcriptionist; Amy Rowland
Algonquin - 2014
Chapter One 
Scientists Celebrate Theory of Everything

"No one can find it. That's the first thing. The Recording Room is on the eleventh floor, at the end of a rat-hued hallway that some workers at the newspaper have never seen; they give up on the ancient elevator, which makes only local stops with loud creaks of protest.  Like New Yorkers who refuse to venture above Fourteenth Street, there are newspaper workers who refuse to go above the fourth floor for fear of being lost forever if they leave the well-lit newsroom for dark floors unknown.  The newsroom, renovated, almost aglow with new computers and pale paint, seems to float in the center of the hulking institution, as if someday it will break off, drift over to Broadway, and join the Clifford and Barney balloons in the annual Macy's parade."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think? Would you keep reading? 


Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below

19 comments:

  1. Love the cover, love the first para, love the sound of this. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very good. I can't wait to find out what's on those upper floors. There's an excellent HBO series called Newsroom. I wonder if this is similar. Hope you are enjoying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it could be good -- yes, I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great opening, I'd keep reading today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd need to know a bit more about the book, but I did love the intro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I might keep reading a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The intro didn't grab me, so I'd have to read a bit more before committing.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this one on other blogs. Looks intriguing. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the idea and sound of this one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read mixed reviews of this one, which have put me on the fence about reading it, but from the intro, it sounds promising. I would keep reading based on that alone. :-)

    (I will be training today and so unable to visit everyone until later--maybe not until tomorrow).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would absolutely read this! I have read of it before but reading that beginning sounds so...different and intriguing. I love when I come across rather unique plots, so yes I hope to read it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just added my first First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros to my blog. Lisa Ks Book Reviews. http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wouldn't trust that "ancient elevator."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intrigued by this room being put in the nether-regions of the office building, though not in a basement. I like how the author describes this less-trodden area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd keep reading. The imagery in the first paragraph is great! I'd definitely like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I would want to know what theory the scientists are celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Promising... The ancient elevator give me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd be more inclined to dive into the yellow dress story =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I like the sound of that - would def continue reading.
    Peggy @ The Pegster Reads

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.