Tuesday, June 3, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros - The Book of You; Claire Kendal

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

The Book of You; Claire Kendal
Harper - 2014

Week One - The Spinning Girl
Monday

" It is you. Of course it is you.  Always it is you.  Someone is catching up to me, and I turn and see you.  I'd known it would be you, but still I loose my footing on the frozen snow.  I stagger up.  There are patches of wet on the knees of my stockings.  My mittens are soaked through.

Any sensible person would be at home on such an icy morning if he had a choice in the matter, but not you.  You are out, taking a little stroll. You are reaching to steady me, asking if I'm okay, but I step away, managing not to unbalance myself again.

I know you must have been watching me since I left my house.  I can't stop myself from asking you what you're doing here, though I know your answer won't be the true one."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading? 
Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below 

23 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but it has my interest. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! Hope you do, too...it was one of my favorites in May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kinda creepy to me.. maybe intentionally as a diversion - not sure if I'd keep reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it the stalking kind of creepy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book! It's got the same creepy feel to it as Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes which has become one of my favorite books of all time! I hope you love it as much as I did :D

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - I don't know. That intro seems kinda weird. But - others are saying they loved it. I think I'd read a few pages and then decide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems weird to me too -- but, like Margot, I'm curious because others said they liked it. Hummm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this one around a bit lately - the intro seems a bit creepy! I'd have to know a little more about the book before deciding to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure about this one. Seems a little strange, but I do want to know what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not wild about that intro yet many have loved the book,so I'd give it a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard lots of good things about this book and it's on my TBR list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great minds! I started this right before bed last night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I'd keep reading. :-) I hope you like the book, Diane. I enjoyed it when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a fascinating intro in a very creepy way! I'd keep reading for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a good one. I'd read more. Who is this "you"?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to know who this mysterious 'you' is and what are they both doing outside when it's that cold and icy? I can totally empathize with her tripping though, because I'm ridiculously clumsy! Thanks for hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, I am curious and interested! This author hit gold with the opening!
    :)

    Mine is at http://yarnknitreadlit.blogspot.com/2014/06/flight-behavior.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, interesting, but I think I would need to check out the blurb.
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kind of eerie, but I like that! Good intro.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's a little creepy, but I'm very curious. I want to know who "you" is. I'd read on. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read your preview post yesterday and Laurel-Rain's comment, among others, and decided to treat myself to this book. I shouldn't be buying since I am going to partake in COYER very soon, but I really was intrigued by this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.