Tuesday, June 17, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph - Tuesday Intros ~The Mountaintop School for Dogs and Other Second Chances; Ellen Cooney

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

Ellen Cooney - August 5, 2014
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

"It was dusk on a winter day, and from high on the mountain came barking, drifting down above the snow peals of a bell, one, two, three, four, more, just to say the light was leaving, but that was all right: here I am, I'm a dog and all is well.

At the inn on the flat of the lowland, Mrs. Auberchon made her way upstairs, grumbling to herself.  But she paused out of habit to listen.  She was a large-frame woman of fifty, with the outer crust of anyone who used to be tender.  Her name was Lucille, but no one used it.  She was Mrs. Auberchon only: dependable, competent, solitary Mrs. Auberchon, always there, always far away, even if you were standing right in front of her."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think? Would you keep reading? 

Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below



21 comments:

  1. This is not my usual kind of story, but I do like that opener, so I'm curious to find out what happens. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the little touch of mystery in the second paragraph. I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this beginning - I would read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would keep reading it. It sounds great, and draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not my usual fare. But the opener looks like something I'd read on a lazy summer's day when I've run out of books to read. :)

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pretty book cover. I don't know if I'd go for a book told from the dog's point of view. Reminds me too much of those movies my kids used to watch with the animals talking. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd need some more information, but I'm intrigued by the title…a bit more than by the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title got my attention and I really like the first two paragraphs... I'd give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although the opening para doesn't reel me in a hundred percent, I do like the sound of this story. Keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice opener but I know this book is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the title, but need to read more than the first paragraph to know if it's for me. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure this one would be for me, but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the cover and I like the tone of the opening. I had to look it up because I liked it so much. It sounds like it could be a great book. I look forward to your review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a new title for me. It's a 'maybe' so I'll have to find out more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, anything about people's relationship with dogs (or any animals)...I'm a sucker for it. Yep, just put it on my wishlist and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If this is from the dog's point of view, I don't think I would read on. However, the intro was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one sounds interesting. I like the idea of the story being told from the dog's p.o.v..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am intrigued and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting, "always far away...." I think from her scars and all the rest she has a lot to think about that happened in her life. I'll bet she's a really interesting character.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.