Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday - Lost


Waiting On” Wednesday is hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine.  What book are you waiting for to be released?  Here's my pick:

Pub. Date - 3/9/2010 - Scribner

On a cold January morning, Susan, a professor of biology, leaves her husband alone for a few minutes and returns to find him gone. Suffering from dementia, no longer able to dress or feed or wash himself without help, Christopher has wandered alone into a frigid landscape with no sense of home or direction. Lost.

Over the course of one weekend, as a massive search for Christopher takes place, Susan's life intersects with those of two strangers: Jeff, her liaison with the police, a social worker and search-and-rescue expert shaken by his young wife's betrayal, and Corey, a twelve-year-old boy, rendered mute by a family tragedy, who has become one of Jeff's cases. While the temperature drops and teams scour the countryside with greater and greater urgency, Susan and Jeff venture into the fraught territory of their pasts -- to impulsive choices and events that may have led to their present circumstances and to the painful question of whether they are to blame for their spouses' actions. Corey, too, is troubled by memories, and a secret that could affect them all. When the desperate search concludes, what it uncovers will transform Susan, Jeff,and Corey and irrevocably bind them together.

From the unexpected convergence of these three lives emerges an arresting portrait of the shifting terrain of marriage and the uneasy burden of love and regret. With her stark, beautiful prose and extraordinary insight into the human conscience and heart, Alice Lichtenstein has crafted a fiercely eloquent and emotionally suspenseful novel about the lengths we will go to take care of someone and the unfathomable ways that even the simplest of choices can reverberate throughout a life.

24 comments:

  1. Sounds good. You've got to stop coming up with good books. I have enough on my TBR list. I can't remember who it was that said you shouldn't struggle through a bad book because there were enough good ones out there to occupy you for a lifetime. That person was right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoooo! This is another book you've introduced me to that I now can't wait to find. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a true life story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of this one! Mt. TBR just keeps growing and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That sounds really intense and good. Adding it to my list : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding to the ole pile, thanks for the heads up on the book. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a beautiful novel. I can definitely see myself liking it even though I haven't read anything by Lichtenstein yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great...the cover makes me COLD(er)! Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh, breathtaking. and what a gorgeous cover.

    seriously, my heart clenched reading that description.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pick! Looks really intense. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an incredibly
    emotion packed read. It's on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I saw your entry title, I thought you meant the tv show! That's what I'm really waiting for!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OHH this one sounds really good - hmm REALLY loving the look of this one, off to add it to my TB pile (To buy LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this one...it sounds great! I've got to add it to my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover of Lost is evocative and it sounds quite intriguing. Thanks for the introduction to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like a great book - it will go on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a striking cover - makes me shiver!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm loving that synopsis of the story!! Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, sounds spectacular. THE STORY OF FORGETTING by Stefan Merrill Block is another really good novel about Alzheimer's if that's something that interests you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marie...I did read The Story of Forgetting and enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sure did find a good one this week Diane. This sounds so good. Great cover too even though it makes me feel cold. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a woefully wonderful read — no wonder you can't wait 'til its release!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Havent heard of it at all, so thank you for picking this one.
    Sounds nice!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, this one sounds so good! I will have to add it to my wish list. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.