Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Salon - January 24, 2010 and a Truth or Lie Winner!



Hello, Sunday Blogging Buddies, hope you had a great week!

I got a lot of reading done this week, but still have those time consuming reviews on my "to do" list. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to make this a less painful task --- like how to do a review in less than 30 minutes ?

This Week in Books (awaiting reviews)
  1. Secrets of Eden; Chris Bohjalian (release date 2/2/2010) - very good
  2. Making Rounds With Oscar; David Dosa M.D.  - LOVED IT!!
  3. Noah's Compass; Anne Tyler - (very sweet story)
  4. Shutter Island; Dennis LeHane (audio book) - good thriller - movie out in February
(If you tend to enjoy the same type of books as me, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of these). Loved my reading this week.

Coming Week Bookish Plans:
  1. Wish Her Safe At Home; Stephen Benatar (current read - very good)
  2. Not My Daughter; Barbara Delinsky
  3. American Rust; Phillip Meyer
  4. The Happiness Project; Gretchen Rubin
  5. This is Where I Leave You; Jonathan Tropper (audio book)
Sunday Plans: 

(Not a thing planned; just the way I like my Sundays).  How about you?

Awards:


Thanks to Jessica @ Desperado Penguin for passing this blogging award on to me this week.

 

Thanks to Jenn @ The Introverted Reader for thinking of me with the Dragon Loyalty Award!

 

And  more thanks to Kay @ My Random Acts of Reading for the Bald Faced Liar whoops....Creative Writer Award.

(For those of you so kind to take the time to try and sort out my Bald Face Lies from the Truth---- here's the truth!):

1. My husband bought me a BMW for my 50th Birthday. (nope - lie - I wish)

2. I've been to Tahiti twice. (nope - Lie - Another I wish)

3. I've met Tony Soprano (James Gandolpini(nope - Lie)
    ( I did meet Uncle Junior, Dominic Cianese)

4. I don't know how to swim. (TRUTH - they tried to teach me when I was little but, I was afraid of the water and cried, my mom never made me go back to learn)

5. My hair is dyed blond. ( blond lie / dyed true)

6. My mother was 50 when I was born. (nope - lie, she was 36)


7. I participated in a New Year's Day Polar Bear swim in the ocean in 2000. (nope - lie, we watched the nuts who participated, but no way was I jumping into frigid New England waters on New Years Day)

(There were 18 entries since I posted this yesterday afternoon, and only (1) correct answer. Fizzy Thoughts A.K.A. Softdrink (I'll email you and let you choose a book from a list of several books that I have available for giveaways) CONGRATS and thanks to all who played along!


Have a Great Week Everyone!

30 comments:

  1. Hiii!!! CJ's here!! thanks for coming to CoffeeNCrackers Diane!! I link ur blog to mine...haha!!! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your awards, wowza! And yay to Fizzy Thoughts for guessing correctly. I thought for sure you had pretended to be a polar bear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see Noah's Compass is good! I bombed on picking the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Fizzy Thoughts!

    I just started a Jonathan Tropper book last night too - How to Marry a Widower so I am interested to see what you think of yours!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on all your awards, Diane! If you ever find out how to write a review in less than 30 minutes, please share. I am definitely interested in learning how to do so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Noah's Compass and American Rust on my Kindle wishlist. As far as reviews, I gave up on them altogether. I love reading, but writing full blown reviews just isn't my thing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've read the new Bohjalian already, I'm so jealous. I just featured it in my Waiting on Wednesday post, along with a gazillion others I'm waiting for. I loved Shutter Island too. My son and I read every Lehane book as it comes out. Congratulations on all the awards. I'd never noticed your liar, er, creative feature before. It was funny. I look forward to your thoughts on American Rust. Enjoy the rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane! I'm looking forward to Bohjalian's newest and Shutter Island by LeHane. Now that it's going to be a movie, I'd like to get to it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the books waiting for your reviews sound great - I haven't read any - I'll be looking to see what you write about them.

    That liar meme is very funny! I didn't try to guess, no way would I have been right. Congratulations on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about reviews. I have a pile of books just sitting there waiting to be reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you have a great week of reading ahead! I am reading "The Happiness Project" this week as well (I just started it this morning) and I LOVED Jonathan Tropper's "This is Where I Leave You". I read the hard copy, though, so I'm not sure if it will be the same as listening to it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, I'm planning on reading The Happiness Project soon. I'm kind of fascinated with it. Anyway, I was sure you were a blonde!! I almost picked the no swim, but you did a good job with your whoppers. I'll post my truth and not-truth later today. Thanks so much for playing along!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to the winner, and a happy Sunday to all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to be reading the Happiness Project for an upcoming book club - let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a big fan of Happiness Project and a clerk at the library raved this week about Daughter, so it looks like you are in for some good upcoming reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I almost picked that one!! How to write your reviews in 30 minutes or less??? Well, I just sit down and write my thoughts without notes etc. I only highlight what I liked about the book or how I felt. I think your reviews are excellent...maybe you could post the first part of your review with the synopsis and just save it on blogger, then when you're ready to do your review it will seem shorter!!???

    ReplyDelete
  17. From one non-swimmer who lives by the sea to another...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is not a bad idea Staci, especially when I get back logged.

    Thanks for everyone's sweet comments and award thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm reading Not My Daughter. It's good so far. I think you'll enjoy it.

    As for reviews, I'm right there with you. My review pile is "piling" up! To catch up, I'm going to write mini-reviews for 2 of them. I try to write them immediately after I finish reading, but life has other plans. I'm thinking about having a review time blocked in my schedule each week to avoid backlog. We'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too would like to know how to do a review in less than 30 minutes. With all the time I spend my reviews, I feel like that is a useful skill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your awards! I had to laugh at the creative writer one...the pic for that is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Uggh! I totally missed it!

    Congratulations on all your awards, Diane.

    I don't know how to swim either :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those were some hilarious questions (and answers!).

    Sounds like you had a great week. "Noah's Compass" is on my short stack, I'm reading "Not My Daughter," and another one up soon (on my stack) is "The Happiness Project."

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always think it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to write a review but whenever I manage that, I hate the review!

    I've got American Rust to read soon; looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on your awards! I'm interesting in The Happiness Project-it sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats to the winner.

    Congrats to you on the awards! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I recently saw the preview for "Shutter ISland" at the movie theater and it looks SO GOOD! I will be curious to hear a review of the book.

    -Amy
    Life by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on all the awards! I am really anxious to see what you thought about Shutter Island because the movie looks like a must see for me. I hope you have a great week and that you get caught up with your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those were great lies, Diane! Congrats to softdrink for guessing correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on the awards!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.