Wednesday, September 16, 2009

144 - The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind; William Kamkwamka and Bryan Mealer


The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope, will be released on September 29th. This memoir was one of those rare stories you won't want to miss.

William Kamkwamba , was raised in Malawi - Africa. Malawi was a place where most people believed in magic and curses. It was a rural area where poverty was wide-spread, government corrupt, and the people lived without electricity or water. His family lived a very simple life; they had a small farm which they relied on for food, and a small income. William's father wants his son to continue his education, so that he would have a better life, but here school is for families who have the money to pay for it.

When the terrible drought occurs, Malawi experiences the worst famine in 50 years. When William's family can no longer afford tuition, he must drop out of school. William finds an old science textbook in the school's library, and he studied the diagrams and saw what windmills were capable of doing. This fourteen year old had a dream of bringing electricity and water to the people of Malawi.

Mechanically inclined, and using old parts, wire, pipe and other things he could find and felt useful, he never gives up on his dream. While the people around him called him crazy, he persisted with his project, in the hopes of improving the lives of his family and the people around him. A dream, a vision, determination and hope was all it took.

One of the most inspiring books that I have read in a long time, I'm pretty sure this book will touch most readers deeply, like it did to me. I know this story will stay with me for a long time to come. In my opinion, this book would be excellent reading and discussion material for high school classes and book clubs everywhere. RECOMMENDED

(Thanks to Tavia K, Marketing Director, of William Morrow for sending me an advance copy).

10 comments:

  1. This is the first review I've seen of this book and I have to say both it and the author sound remarkable. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like my kind of book,inspirational and positive. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a video about him a few weeks back and was taken by his story. I had heard the book was exceptional. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful! I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this book. It sounds really good!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good! I am not very big on memoirs but this one sounds so inspiring.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for adding your blog to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. William sounds like a really inventive and special person. I like the sound of this book, I will have to keep my eye out for it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this book before but it really does sound extremely inspirational and like you said great for a class or book club discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.