Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BBAW Meme Day


BBAW has this fun reading meme for the day. And it’s all about brevity (which we all know I don’t do very often). I’m going to try my best to answer each of these in just a few words. Feel free to play along!
  • Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? I usually don't snack when reading (I need both hands), the most I can handle is bottled water or a cup of tea (even that is a challenge).
  • Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Honestly, I would not mind writing in my books if I were to keep them, but PBS frowns upon swapping books with writing in them, so I use sticky notes instead.
  • How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open? Sticky notes would be my answer once again.
  • Fiction, Non-fiction, or both? Both, I need variety.
  • Hard copy or audio books? Both; I always have one of each going at the same time.
    Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point? It depends, I've been known to do both.
  • If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away? I use to always have a dictionary at my side. Now, I just write the words down on the above mentioned sticky notes and look them up later.
  • What are you currently reading? Day After Night; Anita Diamant
  • What is the last book you bought? Several but, I'll just mention: Mudbound; Hiliary Jordan.
  • Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time? I’m usually reading (3) books at a time. Print book, audio for the car, and a different audio on my IPOD.
  • Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read? Anytime. On the deck in nice weather, or in my reading loft most other times.
  • Do you prefer series books or stand alone books? Usually stand-alones.
  • Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over? Favorite books: The Help; Stockett. Authors: I always talk about: Thrity Umrigar; Chris Bohjallian; Wally Lamb, Anita Shreve, Jodi Picoult, and Lisa See over and over again.
  • How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?) HUH???? How would I manage that without going insane with 600+ unread books??

24 comments:

  1. Hi Diane, fun meme today! I have given you an award so please stop by when you get a chance. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know-"organize by author's last name" etc?
    Who has time for that? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot snack while reading either. I need two hands and if I try to enjoy a beverage at the same time, it usually ends up on the book (which I cannot stand).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read about reading. Great answers! The reading loft sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh I would love my very own reading loft, too! How lucky you!

    And 600+ UNread books?? I'd never manage either! Fortunately have only less than a hundred, and trying(!) to whittle down to even less.. about 20 at the most! You think it's possible? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always losing my pad of sticky notes...or maybe they're stolen by ferrets. I still need to read both THE HELP and MUDBOUND, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't snack either. And like you, I am an 'anytime' type of person. Pretty much whenever I have spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never read Hiliary Jordan...sticky notes,clever idea..
    here are mine:
    http://sumanam.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/you-and-your-reading-habits-bbawreading-meme/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Help too, but have never read Wally Lamb...There is also no way I could write in books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally understand about the organization - I try but have too many books in my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading these things is so much fun! Thanks for posting! I really need to get to my homework...

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing like curling up with a good book and a cup of hot tea! I can't eat while I read either.
    Mudbound has been on my PBS wish list forever. I'll be looking forward to your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to know you've got even more books than I do! I don't know how you can keep track of 3 books at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great answers! I knew there was something else I meant to do today...I forgot about the BBAW meme. not sure if I'll get to it at this point in the evening, but you've inspired me!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading loft? Is that as delightful as it sounds? I think I might need one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was fun to get to know your book habits...I use sticky notes too!!! but I eat and drink while reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Wally Lamb and Jodi Picoult too. Lamb just came out with a new book and i can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wait ... you have a reading loft! How cool!!!!

    Reading all these memes has been a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm thinking I should buy stock in sticky notes. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed reading your answers! I'm one of those nerdy organizers who has everything alphabetized. :) Even more nerdy is that it's one of my favorite ways to kill some time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a reading loft?! I think that deserves a photo for us all to gaze in good-natured envy!

    I have heard such great things about The Help that I am going to suggest it as a book club suggestion once it comes out in paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have a reading loft! How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.