Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday Salon - September 27th


I can't believe I'm writing this post so late on Sunday, but it has been on hectic weekend, but in a good way.  My husband's son was here from PA, arriving on Friday and leaving this morning.  Friday was spent just hanging out here at home (it was the first time he saw our new condo since we moved in on April 27).  We had a great dinner at home (I surprised myself with a salmon stirfry, and rice dish; it was pretty great). Then apple and cherry pie for dessert, as well as Italian pastries.  My SIL and brother, who has pancreatic cancer, and are our neighbors now, stopped over to meet Mitch and have dessert. It was great fun.

Saturday, was another gorgeous day, and guess where we went??  Okay...it has to do with books...LOL
We went for a long drive to this wonderful place called "The Book Mill".  It use to be a grist mill in the 1800's and was converted into a used bookstore and coffee shop, Add WiFi, comfy couches and chairs, and sometimes entertainment at night, and it's a booklover's dream. I had not been there in 12 years so I was thrilled, and my husband and son enjoyed being there as well.

The GPS worked fine getting there, but then we travelled in circles trying to get to our nex destination which was meeting up with my children for dinner in a town about 15 miles away.  Honestly, this book mill is out in the middle of nowhere. Their store's motto is : Books You Don't Need, in a Place You Can't Find"...LOL


Of course who among us can resist visiting a place that sells books, and leave empty handed?  Especially, when it is some place that you might not get back to in another 12 years!!! So this is what I picked up:
Lady Oracle; Margaret Atwood - The Haunting of Hill House; Shirley Jackson and Independent People; Halldor Laxness, and a book bag and tee shirt with the store's motto.
 Then it was off to dinner at a great place where we met my son, his wife, and my daughter and her partner.  It was great to all be together as it had been a while since they had seen Mitch.

Today after Mitch left I had to change the linens, wash clothes, run to a few stores, and now think about supper. Now when things around here are back to normal, tomorrow they will begin putting a new roof on our condo! Let me tell you, our cats are not going to be happy with all the noise (one is really nervous around strangers and with noise).  It is suppose to be a 2-3 day project.

Enough for now, need to make dinner before sundown, as my husband, who is Jewish, will be fasting for Yom Kippur.  Have a great week everyone.

20 comments:

  1. The Book Mill sounds great and they have a terrific logo. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Book Mill sounds like my kind of place. This summer I made my husband literally drive up a mountain to go to a used bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've had a wonderful weekend, Diane. The Book Mill looks like a great place to visit. I love their motto. LOL

    I hope you have a great week, Diane! Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book Mill sounds like fun...I love their motto. Although aren't all books needed??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, do I ever wish for a place nearby like "The Book Mill." From the photos, it seems like a beautiful spot to hang out, not to mention the joy of browsing for books there.


    It sounds like a perfect Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great weekend! I wish I'd known about that bookstore when we lived in Rhode Island - it looks like it's worth the trip. :-)

    Love their logo - clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat place! Sounds heavenly :)

    My husband is Jewish too! We just ate the biggest steak and potato dinner so he'll be all stuffed for the fast.

    Check out my blog: Lynne's Letters

    I love your blog, BTW. You're on my blog roll and I read you every time you update.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Book Mill looks like a great place! I love their slogan, too. Sounds like a place I could spend a lot of time....if I could find it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG...I want to go to The Book Mill. That place looks so perfect! Sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Book Mill looks like my kind of place. I could get lost there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great looking bookstore. Although I don't believe there's any such think as a book you don't need!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would totally like to move into The Book Mill. It looks too fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you had a lovely weekend with all your family. The Book Mill sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, I need to know where this Book Mill is!! I love old mills..I love books!! I would die to have a place like that!! Did it have a working water wheel??

    Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I so want to go to The Book Mill - sounds like a great indie bookstore!

    I hope you'll enjoy Independent People. I read that this summer when we were in Iceland and it was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! You bought Independent People by Halldor Laxness! I bought this book on a whim a few years ago, after randomly discovering it. I have never heard of anyone else owning it or reading it! It seems we have a bit of the same taste, and I also think Halldor Laxness is one of the greatest names ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Book Mill looks beautiful! I wish I had something like that close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So where exactly is The Book Mill :-)?

    If your husband's son is from the south eastern part of PA, do you guys know about Baldwin's Book Barn in West Chester, PA?

    We lived in West Chester for a while and that bookstore is in this old, old, old building....love bookstores like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to go to The Book Mill. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.