Tuesday, March 27, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro

 
Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.  This week's selection is a book I've wanted to read for several months. My DIL liked it a lot.

The Underside of Joy; Sere Prince Halverson

" I recently read a study that claimed happy people aren't made. They're born.  Happiness, the report pointed out, is all about genetics --a cheerful gene passed merrily, merrily down from one smiling generation to the next.  I know enough about life to understand the old adage that one person can't make you happy, or that money can't buy you happiness.  But I'm not buying this theory that your bliss can only be as deep as your gene pool."

Would you read this one?
(I love it and think the intro seems at least partially true)

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I like that opener...and I've been wanting to read this one, too.

    Now I definitely must! Yes, I'd keep reading.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title and the cover. Yes, I'd keep reading. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely keep reading, especially because I agree with the narrator's perspective :) Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely read this book. The title interested me and the pragraph here sold me on wanting to read this book and see what it's about.

    Great choice, Diane!

    I posted my choice for today:
    Amy's FCFPTI

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one that I want to read..loved the intro!!

    Here's mine:
    http://www.lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the opening supposition. What a facinating idea.

    This week I am going much darker.

    Children of the Fog by Cheryl Kaye Tardif

    http://booksnwhatnot.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-children.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would read this one, and am planning to. I have heard some great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I would need to read more...if only to find out what the point of reference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd keep reading. I agree with you and the author. There are times in my life when happiness has been a choice.
    My First Paragraph is here: Quirky Girls Read

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd keep reading for a while but I know people that are like that. Happy all the time...always see the silver lining....never seem to get their feathers ruffled.

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder what the first paragraph is leading up to! I agree with the author's sentiments and love the cover. A book I'd read, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours is pretty intriguing... mine is from The Marriage Plot. They are planning to make a movie - no casting decisions yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this book a few weeks ago. I enjoyed, not sure I loved it but definately enjoyed it. I hope to post my review later this week but first i have to write it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for the late post; day got away from me. Here is mine: http://jaynesbooks.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragaphs-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.