Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday - We Sinners


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick is:



August 2012 - Henry Holt Co.

This stunning debut novel—drawn from the author's own life experience—tells the moving story of a family of eleven in the American Midwest, bound together and torn apart by their faith 

The Rovaniemis and their nine children belong to a deeply traditional church (no drinking, no dancing, no TV) in modern-day Michigan. A normal family in many ways, the Rovaniemis struggle with sibling rivalry, parental expectations, and forming their own unique identities in such a large family. But when two of the children venture from the faith, the family fragments and a haunting question emerges: Do we believe for ourselves, or for each other? Each chapter is told from the distinctive point of view of a different Rovaniemi, drawing a nuanced, kaleidoscopic portrait of this unconventional family. The children who reject the church learn that freedom comes at the almost unbearable price of their close family ties, and those who stay struggle daily with the challenges of resisting the temptations of modern culture. With precision and potent detail, We Sinners follows each character on their journey of doubt, self-knowledge, acceptance, and, ultimately, survival.


12 comments:

  1. I first thought this was set in Finland as there is a town of that name. Sounds a real family saga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's one big family! Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, this one has potential as long as it focuses more on the family and doesn't go too far one way or the other on the religion issue. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this sounds wonderful, Diane! I love this kind of story....

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would really enjoy this book. I tend to like books about large families and all the different aspects that draw them together and pull them apart, so this one sounds really good to me. Great spotlight on this one today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great pick Diane. I am definitely going to add it to my list. I just started another Holt offering - The Land of Decoration - with a theme of religious fundamentalism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at Midwest. This one sounds fascinating, and the author is new to me. Thanks for letting me know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this book. I hadn't heard of it and it sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great family saga and I love family sagas! Thanks for putting this one on my radar :)
    Here's my WoW :)

    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, that sounds like the kind of book I love! I've got to get hold of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know about this debut. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice! Sounds interesting to me and I'm on a kick about books based in Michigan and/or written by Michigan authors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.