Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Old Bear; Kevin Henkes - little ones will love it!


(2008) Harper Collins Children

Late one fall, even before the first snow fall, Old Bear curled up in a den for a long winter's nap.  Off into a deep sleep, full of pleasant dreams, he dreams of springtime and his earlier days as a playful cub -- huge colorful flowers as large as trees.  Summertime with the sun as big and bright as a giant daisy, and autumn dreams with all the colorful reds, orange and browns. Even the cold winter made him dream of ice and pretty bright stars.

When Old Bear  finally wakes up it seemed like very little time had passed for him, but yet when he poked his head out of his den it was spring once again.

This is a lovely book, full of colorful illustrations (by the author). The story, about changing seasons, colors, and an introduction to animal hibernation, makes this a great choice, especially for pre-school children.

5/5 stars - loved it

10 comments:

  1. I'm collecting books for my granddaughter (and the grand on the way!). This looks darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a keeper Mary - Isn't it fun collecting books for someone else for a change? I'm doing the same thing now.

      Delete
  2. I really love Kevin Henkes! And when I lived in Madison (Wisconsin) where he lives, he was always doing presentations for kids and libraries. He was very beloved there! (I have been away for quite a few years so I don't know if he is still there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also great to hear about an author who is so community oriented.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Kathy, this does look adorable, and the illustrations look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look like a very sweet book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like such a fun book to read with the babes. Will be putting it on my wishlist--especially with a first birthday coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cover for this one. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.