Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday - Thy Neighbors; Norah Vincent

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick is:

August 2, 2012 - Viking

At thirty-four, Nick Walsh is a broken, deeply cynical man. Since the violent deaths of his parents thirteen years earlier, he has been living alone in his childhood home in the suburban Midwest, drinking, drugging, and debauching himself into oblivion. A measure of solace is provided by his newly found relationship with Monica, a mysterious woman who seems to harbor as many secrets as he does.

Obsessed with understanding the circumstances surrounding his parents’ deaths and deranged by his relentless sorrow, Nick begins a campaign of spying on his neighbors via hidden cameras and microphones he has covertly installed in their houses. As he observes with amusement and disbelief all the strange, sad, and terrifying things that his neighbors do to themselves and to one another, and as he, in turn, learns that he is being stalked, he begins to slowly unravel the shocking truth about how and why his parents died.

At once unsettling and moving, humorous and horrifying, Thy Neighbor explores the nature of grief, the potential isolation of suburban life, and who we really are when we think no one is watching. What readers and critics have admired in Norah Vincent’s nonfiction is completely unleashed in this vivid and provocative novel.


Sounds Creepy - and Leaves Me Curious

17 comments:

  1. Eeeeuuuuuuwww - I sure wouldn't want this guy for a neighbor. How does anyone manage to "covertly" hide cameras in someone else's home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently people don't lock their doors in that neighborhood...LOL

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this book before! Sounds really good- I love sinister stuff like this involving strange,warped main characters! Thanks for sharing it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds really interesting :)
    here is my wow:
    http://ratherbarefoot.blogspot.se/2012/03/waiting-on-wednesday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really want to read this one. It sounds deliciously dark and creepy. Thanks for sharing it with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pick! I have to say that Wednesday is my favorite day because I find so many great books to add to my shelf. And this one will definitely be added! Thank you for sharing! :)

    Here's mine:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/03/waiting-on-wednesday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, "unsettling and moving, humorous and horrifying"...I'm curious, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, now this one has to go on my list! Love this kind of story...creepy, scary, and riveting.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds creepy! Imagine that you're being followed by your neighbour.. What I really admire is that he managed to get those cameras and microphones in their house.

    My pick:
    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/03/waiting-on-wednesday-7-anna-carey-once.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy is the word for sure. I'm not sure whether this would bother me or make me curious. Must think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really creepy ... and probably rivetting reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know I could put a smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I love the sound of this one and want to read it immediately. In fact, I'm heading over to my library site right now to see if they have it on order! Awesome pick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Diane,

    I really love the sound of this book and it has headed straight on to my wish list.

    This is a debut fiction book by the author, however judging by the prevoius couple of non-fiction books that she has penned, I am expecting something completely 'off the wall' and different.

    I suspect that creepy and spooky are going to be quite tame words to describe this book.

    A great find and thanks for sharing.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.