Tuesday, March 6, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.  This week's selection is from a book by an author I've enjoyed in the past, (Caribou Island) by David Vann.


Harper Collins - June 2012
(Intro paragraphs are from an ARC)

"Galen waited under the fig tree for his mother. He read Siddhartha for the hundredth time, the young Budda gazing into the river.  He felt the enormous presence of the fig tree above him, listened for the no wind, for the stillness.  Summer heat pressing down, flattening the earth.  Sweat in a film covering most his body, a slick.

The old house, the trees ancient.  The grass, grown long, making his legs itch.  But he tried to concentrate.  Hear the no wind.  Focus on breath.  Let the no self go by.

Galen, his mother called from inside, Galen.

He breathed more deeply, tried to let his mother go by.

Oh, there you are, she said. Ready for tea?

He didn't answer. Focused on his breath, hoped she would go away.  But of course he was waiting for her,  waiting for tea." 

 What do you think?   

Although those intro paragraphs alone did not hook me, let me tell you if you keep reading on, you'll be hooked before 20 pages -- really enjoying this one.

21 comments:

  1. Caribou Island is on my tbr list. So glad to hear he's published another. I like this opening, it's very relaxing and I would definitely read on.
    I've posted my first FCFP Tuesday post:

    http://freshinkbooks.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not do anything for me but as you say you should give the book a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, I like the character, that kind of concentration in a boy is unusual. Sounds like a keeper. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm wanting this one...I've been noticing it around, I've read the blurb, and it's on my wish list.

    You're right...the first paragraphs don't necessarily hook me, but I know I'm going to love it!

    I haven't read Caribou Island...but I think Dirt will come first for me.

    Thanks for sharing...and reminding me of this one.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be interested because of his reading choice. Adds a touch of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That intro is very descriptive, I'd have to read more.

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a hard time with Vann's other book, so I am not sure that I would read this one, but the synopsis I read yesterday intrigued me, so I am undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually have this on my list to read. As soon as I empty my shelves I'll be able to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This opening caught my attention and made me curious about Galen, his reading of Siddartha numerous times, waiting for his mother and then hoping she'd go away, the heat and the quiet, the stillness...it makes me curious about the rest of the story. I already want to read Vann's first book and I'll be adding this one to my list.

    Great choice, Diane!
    I posted mine:
    <a href="http://homeofaimala.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html>Amy's FCFPTI</a>

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that you would have to pay close attention to what this book is telling your. This week, I have decided to go with a YA sequel: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

    http://booksnwhatnot.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly an intriguing writing style. And the reading choice of Siddhartha is kind of interesting. Especially that he's read it for the 100th time.
    Not hooked yet but I could be! I love this opening paragraph idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting and very intriguing. Does it not have quotation marks? I read a book recently that didn't use them. Have to look this up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes the opening does not do justice to the book. I'd read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This intro doesn't do it for me either, but I would keep reading based on your comment that it improves.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard of this book before but while the intro isn't all that exciting I still find it intriguing. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I would read more on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'd read the whole first chapter in this one. Can't get a feel for where the story is going yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it!!! I would keep on with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was hooked at the cover pic...loved the first paragraph,too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.