Tuesday, March 13, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros



Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.  This week's selection is from a new book which debuts in May.


Soho Press - May 1, 2012
(intro was taken from eGalley))

"Michelle dropped the sarong she'd started to tie around her waist onto her lounge chair.  Nobody cared what her thighs looked like.  Sand burned the soles of her feet as she walked down to the water.  Look at these people, she thought.  Foreigners, mostly. Like her.  Older, a lot of them.  Sagging, leathered skin, the ones who'd been here for awhile.  Pale tourists, big-bellied, pink-faced, glowing with sunburn.  A family of locals --Mexicans anyway, who knew if they were really from here?  Dark, short, and blocky, eating shrimp on a stick from the grill down the beach, giant bottles of Coke tucked in a Styrofoam cooler.

Out of shape. Lumpy. Flabby. Aging. Nobody cares."


Would you keep reading?  
I'm not expecting anything more than a good thriller--hope I'm right!

18 comments:

  1. I like it! Interesting narrative voice. I would keep reading...thanks for sharing.

    Here's
    MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd keep reading - it could be very entertaining!
    Here's mine:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2012/03/tuesday-intro-you-deserve-nothing.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me wonder where this is going. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to read for the descriptive language!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd keep reading because the cover gives away that this is not paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably wouldn't keep reading on this one. The narrator sounds a tad judgmental, which might annoy me. I will be interested in hearing your thoughts if you fo decide to go forward with this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks intriguing…I would keep reading!

    Here is my post:
    http://renees-reads.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very interesting start. This week I am reading about mother daughter relations written by Lisa Scottoline and her daughter Francesca.

    http://booksnwhatnot.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-best.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would keep reading, just to figure out what's going on. But then I guess that's the point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm laughing--the cover suggests something a little mysterious down the road for our flabby thighed tourist. sounds fun. My intro comes from Susanna Kearsley's "The Rose Garden" kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I wouldn't read on as the writing style does nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure if I'd keep going. It seems rather pitiful, as if I should feel sorry for the narrator. I might try a few pages and then see.

    Mine is here: Quirky Girls Read

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I would keep reading. It is hard to say when you only get one paragraph. I usually read a couple of pages before I decide if it is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll wait for your review to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I would read that one, sounds a little like down here in the south!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very descriptive. I wouldn't have guessed it's a thriller from this opening. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't get "thriller" from this … sounds more "middle aged chick lit. 'HAHA!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.