Tuesday, August 4, 2009

118 - Loving Frank; Nancy Horan












Loving Frank by Nancy Horan is a work of fiction. The author is a former journalist, who resides in Oak Park, Illinois, which is home to the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. This ambitious debut novel is the result of seven years of research.

In the early 1900's Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheny began a clandestine love affair. The two met when Mamah and her husband Edwin, commissioned Wright to design a new home for the two of them.

Mamah, who could be described as an intellectual feminist, followed her heart, and left her husband and children to be with Wright, the man she loved. Mamah's unmarried sister moved in to care for her sister's two children.

Wright, married and the father of six children himself, had a wife who refused to give him a divorce.

Their scandalous relationship, something which would seem almost commonplace by today's standards, shocked Chicago.

A fascinating historical account of these individuals, and their relationship that ended in disaster. The beautiful details of architectural designs will leave an imprint in your mind. The ending left me speechless. ( I had not read any details about this book beforehand). The audio book was great, but this is another one of those books that I might have preferred reading the printed edition a bit more. This book left me curious to know exactly what was fact and what was fiction. I plan to read a bit more to satisfy my curiosity. RECOMMENDED
RATING - 4/5; Completed - 8/3/09; My Stacks

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book even though I became quite frustrated with Mamah at times. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately on my tbr list. Great review. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how often I've picked this one up at the bookstore and put it back. I still may buy it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have a little photgraphic book of some of Frank Lloyd Wrights architecture :-) Didn't know anything about his personal life, so this was interesting. Also interesting if you find out more about fact and fiction :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like to read about scandalous affairs! Be it 1900's or 2010, I know I would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard good things about this book, but haven't found the time to read it yet. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the cover...

    I had no idea Wright had such an...interesting...private life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't get over how selfish both Mamah and Frank were. I knew how it was going to end but still felt that that part, in particular was really well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know their story, so this book interests me. Thanks for the review.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. I have come across this book before, but had not really gotten the gist of the subject matter. It might be something that I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought this for a book group discussion, but found I had a date conflict and wouldn't attend the meeting ... and never got to the book.

    I do like the arts & crafts / mission style of architecture and furniture, so I should read it to get some more (even if fictionalized) insight into Frank Lloyd Wright.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.