Tuesday, August 25, 2009

131 - Homer's Odyssey; Gwen Cooper




As a cat lover (we have 4) I had a soft spot for Homer long before this book arrived for me to read and review. As soon as I heard there was a new memoir coming out about a blind cat, I had a lump in my throat, and knew I had to read this book based on the review I had read:
Once in nine lives, something extraordinary happens...

The last thing Gwen Cooper wanted was another cat. She already had two, not to mention a phenomenally underpaying job and a recently broken heart. Then Gwen’s veterinarian called with a story about a three-week-old eyeless kitten who’d been abandoned. It was love at first sight.

Everyone warned that Homer would always be an "underachiever," never as playful or independent as other cats. But the kitten nobody believed in quickly grew into a three-pound dynamo, a tiny daredevil with a giant heart who eagerly made friends with every human who crossed his path. Homer scaled seven-foot bookcases with ease and lept five feet into the air to catch flies in mid-buzz. He survived being trapped alone for days after 9/11 in an apartment near the World Trade Center, and even saved Gwen’s life when he chased off an intruder who broke into their home in the middle of the night.

But it was Homer’s unswerving loyalty, his infinite capacity for love, and his joy in the face of all obstacles that inspired Gwen daily and transformed her life. And by the time she met the man she would marry, she realized Homer had taught her the most important lesson of all: Love isn’t something you see with your eyes.
Homer’s Odyssey is the once-in-a-lifetime story of an extraordinary cat and his human companion. It celebrates the refusal to accept limits—on love, ability, or hope against overwhelming odds. By turns jubilant and moving, it’s a memoir for anybody who’s ever fallen completely and helplessly in love with a pet.
I really loved this memoir, and found it touching that this little feisty blind cat was able to touch Gwen so deeply, and to change her thinking and her life. Although I am hesitant to quote text from a review copy, I just had to cite a few passages that moved me......

"The other thing I realized was, that while he seemed loving, he wasn't scared or desperate to be loved, the way you'd expect a kitten--or even a person--who'd experienced nothing but pain, hunger or fear to be. Nor was he hostile and defensive, a kitten who'd let a hard life stomp all the love right out of him. He was merely curious and affectionate. It was as if there was some innate source of courage within him, some inborn willingness to engage the world openly and joyfully, that even all the suffering and hardship he'd been through hadn't taken away from him."
"It was a staggering concept for me at the time. I had been dumped, forced to move out of my home, and was having financial problems--and I'd consequently developed an unfortunate tendency to approach life as if it were a grim struggle, to allow self-pity to consume me whenever I lost some of those struggles. But here was this cat, whose ordeals made my own worst days seem like a week in Disney World..........."
Homer's Odyssey is so much more than a story about a cat. It is a story about the transformation of a life (really two lives Gwen and Homers). The writing is beautiful, in a way that will leave you thinking about the things that mean most in life. How love comes into our lives oftentimes when we least expect it.
Homer's Odyssey should appeal to not just cat lovers but animal lovers in general. I also enjoyed this video of Gwen and Homer (click here).
Thanks to Random House and Shelf Awareness for sending this to me.
RECOMMENDED - 4.5/5 stars

12 comments:

  1. Okay, I already have tears. Another cat lover here and will have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I haven't heard of it before.

    We love cats. Our old cat Bob passed on recently (very sad) and we even have his picture on our blog. I love a good animal tale! Thanks for the heads up on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a review copy too and now I need to get to reading it. He sounds like a pretty special animal!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title fooled me!

    I am also a cat lover and would probably love this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family and I are cat lovers from way back-guess I will have to read Homer-thanks for the good review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just this past Saturday my husband and I read an article about Homer saving Gwen from the intruder and we both teared up. We have 4 cats of our own and started wondering if any of ours would be that brave. Thanks for this review - I had no idea she had a book coming out about Homer and now I can't wait to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had tears in my eyes as I read your review. I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the review and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just know that I am going to have to look for this one now. I just love cats - just love animals really and I know I want this book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book! I am keeping it on my shelf because I know that I will read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a really touching book, and my daughter would probably love it. I will have to grab a copy for my library when I get a chance. Great review as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the great review of Gwen's book. I can't wait to feature it during her tour.

    We also have three furry little beasts and they are truly part of our family. This book sounds right up my alley.

    Thanks again for the great review.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.