Monday, August 31, 2009

August Reading in Review

August was a hot humid month here, but it was a good month for reading for me. I read (16) books. The quality of my reads: excellent --- (2) books were perfect 5/5 ratings using my system. (9) books I rated a 4 or 4.5/5; (4) books were rated a 3 or 3.5/5. I had (1) DNF (did not finish): Rapture; Liz Jensen --maybe the timing just wasn't right, as I know some other bloggers did enjoy this book. Of the (16) books I did read, (6) were review books . I also read (2) non fiction books and listened to (4) audio books. 11/16 were my books and 5/16 came from the library (a bit too many still).

Here is a summary for August:

118. Loving Frank; Nancy Horan - 4/5 (audio)
119. Promise of the Wolves; Dorothy Hearst - 4.5/5 (review)
120. Life Sentences; Laura Lippman - 3/5 (audio)
121. Song of Renewal; Sue Harvey - 4/5 (review)
122. Firefly Cloak; Sheri Reynolds - 3.5/5
123. Harmless; Dana Reinhardt - 4/5 (audio)
124. The Idea of Love; Louise Dean - 3/5 (review)
125. The Day the Falls Stood Still; Cathy Buchanan - 4.5/5 (review)
126. That Old Cape Magic; Richard Russo - 5/5
127. Daddy's Girl; Lisa Scottoline - 3.5/5 (audio)
128. Julie and Julia; Julie Powell - 5/5
129. Heroic Measures; Jill Ciment - 4.5/5
130. Sheer Abandon; Penny Vincenzi - 4/5
131. Homer's Odyssey; Gwen Cooper - 4.5/5 (review)
132. After You; Julie Buxbaum - 4/5 (review)
133. Revolutionary Road; Richard Yates - 4.5/5

I completed (1) challenge : What An Animal II.

Open Challenges
  • 100+ Challenge - 133/100
  • A-Z Challenge - 22/26
  • Read Your Own Books Challenge - 71/100
  • John Steinbeck Mini Challenge - 1/2
  • War Through the Generations WWII - 2/5
  • R.I.P. IV Challenge - 0/4

    Hope you had a great month too!

17 comments:

  1. Wow 16 books.. amazing! And a lot of good ones at that. I'm really looking forward to Revolutionary Road, which I have on hand for next month.. and someday Richard Russo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed by how many books you have read this year. I need to read less library books too. I am going to try and limit my visits there and only read the odd ones I order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, impressive record for August, and nice to have read so many you liked! I wasn't crazy about The Rapture either - if it hadn't been for the (to me) welcome change of a main protagonist in a wheelchair, it might have been a DNF for me also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a fantastic month in books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane.. I have an award for you on my blog..pls. pick it up.. I enjjoy you visiting my blog.
    And waht a great list..the only one I have read from that list is Revolutionary Road.. what a great book...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's amazing. You must be a super fast reader! Revolutionary Road is also one I'd like to read sometime, although I might want to try and finish Dickens first. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice month for you! I was looking through your book titles and they look really good!

    I like that you do this each month and it must be a great way for you to keep track as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 16 books is great! I haven't done my totals yet, but I think I read about 10.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Overall, it looks like August was pretty darn good for you!! I read Labor Day based on your review and I loved it!!!!! Hard to put that one into words. I returned a Lippman book because you gave Life Sentences a 3. I don't have time to read 3's!! You gave Julie and Julia a much higher rating than I did...just didn't click for me. After You is on an extended hold until November for me...I have you to thank for that one!! Can't wait to read it!!! And of course, I'm going to read Revolutionary Road during Christmas Break...another one I'm looking forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sixteen books is just about half the books I've read all year! I'm happy to see you gave Homer's Odyssey a 4 on 5 - I've got it on my soon-to-be-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had an awesome month. Reading for me this month did not go so well for me unfortunately. I ended up with a more hectic schedule than I expected leaving me with little time for reading. Still, this isn't the place for my silly excuses. Congrats on your accomplishments - I'm still working my way toward completing my first challenge, hopefully sometime in the next couple months (we shall see ...).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great month. Some are on my list.. I had the worst reading month I have had it about 7 years... Congrats to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had an awesome month!

    I have an award for you!

    http://thebookinn.blogspot.com/2009/08/some-lovely-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. 16 books? Impressive! I'm in awe that you're already over 100! I love seeing how many books people read in a month or a week. I'm in awe with huge numbers such as yours. Hopefully Sept. will be just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo-hoo, you had a great reading month. I see most books were 4 stars and above so that's great :)

    Hope you have a great September too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.