Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Salon - 8-23-09










I can't believe it is Sunday already -- I missed last weeks Sunday Salon, and this week flew by even faster. Here in New England it was the hottest and most humid week of the summer. We walked at 7:30 am and we were drenched by 8:00 am, so most of the week was spent in AC only environments: home, the library, and the movie theatre (Julie and Julia--so great). Looking forward to fall so much, but not winter--hey can't enjoy one without the other right?

My library pile for this week was pretty huge (let's guess how many will be returned unread and they checked out several more times in the future?? )LOL

  1. Netherland; O'Neill
  2. Intervention; Robin Cook
  3. The Consequences of Love; Addonia (check out the cover)
  4. A Better View of Paradise; Coburn (Check out the cover)
  5. Revolutionary Road; Yates (audio - have not seen the movie - I hear it is gut wrenching)
  6. Rifling Paradise; Poster (check out the cover)
  7. The Earth Hums in B Flat; Strachen
  8. In the Heart of the Canyon; Hyde
  9. Sheer Abandon; Vincenzi (current read)
  10. Hold Love Strong; Goodman

This week I finished:

  • That Old Cape Magic; Russo - Library
  • Heroic Measures; Ciment - Library
  • Daddy's Girl; Scottoline (audio) - Library
  • Julie and Julia; Powell (giveaway win)

I'm now reading review copies of:

  • Homer's Odyssey; Gwen Cooper (n/f)
  • After You; Buxbaum
  • Promised World; Tucker (hope to begin reading this week)

That's about it for the book related stuff.

Personal stuff: my son started a new job as a Business Analyst (can't give the name of the company, but family members are thrilled about his 35% discount)....LOL.... My daughter is smoke free still (54 days now); it's very hard for her, but we are cheering her on. My husband and I are over our summer colds --thank goodness. Lastly, unfortunately my brother who has pancreatic cancer had a setback this week, and needed another blood transfusion today. (The chemo has done a number on his red cells). He had a transfusion just 16 days ago....so that has been hard on all of us. He was diagnosed 8 months ago.

That's about all she wrote. Have a great week everyone.

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your brother. It is so hard on all the family at times like this. I am pleased about your son's job though. I hope you enjoy all those library books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I have no control when it comes to going to the library and picking books. Still, it's fun. Thank goodness for renewals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane,
    you read a lot of books in one week, woo hoo! and congrats! (Considering, I only managed to get through one:()
    I am sorry to hear about your brother, I'll be keeping him, his family and you in my prayers.
    And congratulations to your daughter for sticking with not smoking, I know how hard it is, I've been through it myself and to you son for scoring a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and I know this must be a difficult time for all of you. Tell your daughter to keep it up! My husband's been smoke free now for 2 years after 30 years of smoking. If he can give it up, anyone can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so looking forward to reading the new Russo. When will my library order a copy? I'm sorry about your brother. A friend of mine has been in a similar position with leukemia and the transfusions have worked for her. I hope your news gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about your brother. Sending hugs. . .

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of "Netherland." I was disappointed but I think I had such high hopes it would have been hard to live up to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very sorry to hear about your brother :( I really hope he'll be okay.

    I'm heard nothing but good things about That Old Cape Magic - I look forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homer's Odyssey is a great read. Despite its mythic, heroic style, it has a very pleasant Mediterranean feel to it.

    Have you read The Iliad?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your brother's health and setback. This must be a difficult time for you and your family.

    You'll have to let us know how many of those library books that you got to read. It's hard to fit it all in timewise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a mixed week - your kids are doing fantastic!

    Hope the transfusion does some good, and that the weather improves - I guess maybe after Bill moves out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your library pile sounds like mine!!

    I'm so happy for your son and your daughter. My hubby has tried to quit smoking. He was successful for 3 years then started it back up. There's still hope that he'll quit again!! I'm sorry to hear about your brother and the setbacks. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My wishes to your brother--hopefully the transfusion will go well.

    Sorry about the eat--not sure I could deal with non-AC environs right now. I've been wanting to see Julie and Julia, so I'm glad to hear you liked it.

    Have a great week, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'd like to read Revolutionary Road too, and I heard the movie adaptation is great too.

    I end up taking out too many library books too, and then I end up having to check them out again 3 weeks later. Enjoy your books! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Revolutionary Road, and just saw the movie last night. Gut wrenching is a very apt description. I hope you enjoy the book, it has stayed with me long after I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hooray and congrats to your son on his new job, and I'm so glad to hear about your daughter's success. Every day she goes smoke-free is a celebration. :) Hopefully the transfusion for your brother will perk his system back up. My thoughts are with you, Diane.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.