Monday, August 24, 2009

130 - Sheer Abandon; Penny Vincenzi


Martha, Clio, and Jocasta meet by chance at Heathrow airport in 1985. Strangers to each other, but each off on a backpacking adventure, they decide to spend the first few days of their trip together in Thailand. They then go their separate ways, but promise to get together in London the following year, but that never happens. It is many many years before the three meet again. Now when they meet, they are all responsible career women.

One of them harbors a terrible secret. On her return from her pre-college adventure, when the three first met, one of them gave birth to a baby girl in the closet of the airport at Heathrow. The infant now a beautiful teenager is named Kate and has grown up in a loving home with her adoptive family. Kate, she sets out to find her birth mother, and as a result the three women are together again under not so pleasant circumstances. The mystery of which of the women gave birth to Kate is revealed, as well as who her father is.

While reading Sheer Abandon, I listened to the audio as well as read the print copy. This book was 600++ pages. I was hooked right from the beginning, but the story did get bogged down a bit in the middle, and by the end, I had the following thoughts: I'm glad I read this one, but it could have been done just as well with about 200 fewer pages.

If you have not read anything by Penny Vincenzi (she's new for me), give this book a try.

RATING - 4/5 stars - Completed - 8/23/09 - Library

6 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I don't usually read Adult often since it usually becomes a little slow and I just am not smart enough but this sounds like something I would like to read. It seems like a lot of people listen to audio books right now. I'll have to try it some time and see how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this author but the premise sounds great. I hate it when a book continues to go on for no reason, especially when it could've been so much better if it had been edited down!! Still sounds great though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story sounds great, but it sounds like it could have used a better edit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny Vincenzi is one of my absolute favorite writers of all times. Her trilogy of a British publishing family was one of the best trilogies I have read. If you like involved family sagas, try No Angel, Something Dangerous and Into Temptation. Her latest book Best of Times is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love Penny Vincenzi. This one lives on my shelves, yet unread. Have you read the trilogy beginning with No Angel? It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read the No Angel trilogy, and thought it was outstanding. I have this one and another couple by Vincenzi on my shelves and have to get around to reading it soon. I am glad you liked it, and hope I will too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.