Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Finds










I came across this title on the new book shelf at the library yesterday (release date 4/2009). It sounds like a moving story that I am looking forward to.





In this poignant tale of self-discovery, a young man struggles to survive the New York City housing projects in the face of familial, communal, and personal devastation. Born to a thirteen-year-old in the bathroom of his family's small apartment, Abraham Sing leton enters a world laden with the obstacles inherent in an impoverished community. In spite of the crack epidemic and the HIV crisis that ravage their neighborhood, the Singleton family -- cousins, an uncle, an aunt, Abraham, and his mother -- is held together by Abraham's heroic grandmother, whose deep faith and stoic nature have always given them a sense of wholeness and hope. But when the family goes through several harrowing losses, not even his grandmother may be strong enough to lead them through.

At the center of this story is Abraham, the youngest of the Singletons. Deeply intuitive and cerebral, he is determined to thrive in a place that has destroyed the dreams of those around him. College means opportunity, yet it also means leaving behind those he loves. Abraham's journey into adulthood will break his heart but ultimately offer the possibility of redemption.

In this haunting, lyrical, and evocative novel, Matthew Goodman composes a paean to the power of family and belonging in the African-American community. Hold Love Strong is a spellbinding coming-of-age tale about love, hope, and the will to survive, and a stunning universal story about the incredible capacity of the human spirit.

Did you find anything interesting this week? Share please.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like a book that has a little bit of everything in it. Thanks for sharing your find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good library find! The subject matter is one that is sad and sometimes difficult to read about. If I had seen this in the library, I would have picked it up as well. I'll be anxious to read your review.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that sounds really good - I'll have to look for it at my library when it reopens next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does so sound good!

    Let's see, I picked up the "Adoration of Jenna Fox" from the library but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good book. I think I would read this too if I came across it in a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this before but it sounds very good. It has an interesting cover too. I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Psst...

    http://www.fizzythoughts.com/2009/08/behold.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read this book and it will be in my top ten reads for 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like something I would like to read!! Great find.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.