Happy Halloween Everyone!
How was your October? We had some pretty terrific weather here, and a great month reading-wise (thanks to the 24 hour Read-a-thon). Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending how you look at it), I acquired more books than I donated or read. This is something that is going to be a major project for me to work on in 2010. I am going to get rid of books that I do not think I will read, and hope to only acquire books that I plan to read.
In October I read (20) books (6 during the read-a-thon)). The quality of my reads was pretty good. My favorite book was, Abraham Verghese's: Cutting for Stone .
Of the (20) books I did read, (7) were review books. I read (4) non fiction books and listened to (2) audio books. (11/20) books were from my stacks, and 9/20 came from the library. Here is a summary:
150. A Change in Altitude ; Anita Shreve- 3/5 (review)151. No Time to Wave Goodbye; Jacquelyn Mitchard - 4/5
152. The Brutal Telling; Louise Penny - 4/5 (review)
153. What the Dead Know; Lippman (audio) 4/5
154. The Magician's Elephant; Kate DiCamillio - 5/5
155. Evil at Heart; Chelsea Cain - 4.5/5
156. Tortilla Flat; John Steinbeck - 4.5/5
157. Mathilda Savitch; Lodato - 4/5 (review)
158. Baking Cakes in Kigali; Parkin - 4/5 (review)
159. Solace: Finding Your Way Though Grief; Temes - 4/5 (review)
160. A Duty to the Dead; Todd - 4.5/5
161. Gift from the Sea; Lindbergh - 5/5
162. Zen and the Art of Happiness; Prentiss - 4/5
163. Runaway Mummy; Rex - 4.5/5
164. Miss Smith and the Haunted Library; Garland - 4.5/5
165. Sworn to Silence; Castillo (audio) - 4/5
166. Haunted Island: True Ghost Stories from Martha's Vineyard; Nadler - 3/5
167. Cutting for Stone; Verghese - 5/5
168. The Time of My Life; Swayze and Niemi - 4.5/5
169. The Recipe Club; Israel and Garfinkle - 4/5 (review)
170. The Christmas Cookie Club; Pearlman - 3/5 (review)
Completed Challenges (October)
- John Steinbeck Mini Challenge
- RIP IV Challenge
- A-Z Challenge - 24/26
- Read Your Own Books Challenge - 95/100
- War Through the Generations WWII - 3/5
- Fall Into
Challenge – 6/15 Reading
- Clear Off Your Shelves Challenge - 11
Hope you had a good month as well!
Have a great weekend and a Happy Halloween Everyone!
If you didn't like Stuart Woods' Loitering With Intent, you should try one with the same title by Muriel Spark. It is great.ReplyDelete
I am so impressed with your book list. Wow! You had a fabulous month.ReplyDelete
I am almost tempted to go and buy a copy of Cutting for Stone now. I wonder how long I can resist for?!ReplyDelete
I love the way you have kept your marks out of 5 for the summary post - I was missing those.
Happy Halloween! Check out my Halloween list at Halloween Reads.ReplyDelete
Great reading month! I've got The Magician's Elephant sitting on my stack.ReplyDelete
Happy Halloween! Yea for the read-a-thon. Helped October to be a great reading month for me too.ReplyDelete
You had a great reading month! I've read: #156, and #161. Others from your list are on my TBR list.ReplyDelete
Have a safe and happy Halloween!
Hi, Diane! Wow, you've read a lot for this month! And I see that you've read cookbooks as well!ReplyDelete
You had a great month!ReplyDelete
Congrats on reading 20 books! That's about how many I took in from library sales. My output was negative. I won't even go there. Aloha from RobReplyDelete
I keep seeing raves for Cutting for Stone. I really mus pick it up one day and see for myself!ReplyDelete
Impressive list of books. Here's my weekly wrap up at Sunday SalonReplyDelete
I agree that your reading list is impressive, Diane. I wish I was a faster reader, but I have a tendency to dawdle.ReplyDelete
Your October was stellar!!!ReplyDelete
I'm standing up and clapping for you! Great reading ... I'm impressed! You should feel good about what you accomplished.ReplyDelete
20 books?! *fainted*ReplyDelete
I'm very, very impressed. I managed only 6 and the rest of the time was spent behind my camera.
Very impressive! Next year I might join in a challenge, but where do you find them?ReplyDelete
Ignore my question b/c I see that you are hosting a challenge that I might join. Thanks!ReplyDelete
Sounds like another great reading month for you! I think I read my usual average of 8 books or so. Lots of good reads so I'm happy about that! :)ReplyDelete
Wow, great stats! I thought I did great with 15 books. I'm in awe of your 20. ;)ReplyDelete
Diary of an Eccentric