Thursday, December 3, 2009

186 - Half Broke Horses: A True - Life Novel; Jeannette Walls



Having loved Jeannette Wall's memoir: The Glass Castle, I could not wait to read her latest book, in which she tells the story of the life of her maternal grandmother, Lily Casey Smith who was born in a one room dugout by the side of the river in West Texas.

The story is narrated by Lily herself, an amazing woman who did what needed to be done in life. She lived through two wars, the Great Depression, prohibition, began training horses at the age of five, took care of a cattle ranch at age 12, and at age 15 left for Arizona alone on horseback some 500 miles to be an itinerant teacher.

My Thoughts: I love the way Walls writes, and although the style of the book is different (short chapters), the story is beautifully written, and visually telling. Lily's voice resonates with me still, and the message I took from this story was this ....... 

 .....Strong women take setbacks in stride and learn from their mistakes along the way. Life isn't about luck, it is about going out and doing what you set your mind out to accomplish 

Highly Recommended


(sent by Simon and Schuster)

21 comments:

  1. That's a great quote! This sounds like a wonderful read as well. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, there you go again, adding to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to see Jeanette Walls speak at the National Book Festival in DC and she was very inspiring. I definitely want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read her first book, her memoir, after my son recommended it to me. This one sounds very worthwhile, too. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about her memoirs. They're on my ever-growing to-read (some day) list! Glad to see you liked this one.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this yet, but I like the author photo on the hardcover flap (I'm not sure if it would be in the review copy?) of Walls with the horse. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear you loved this one! I haven't read The Glass Castle yet (I know, I know). I have a copy of this one, and I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Glass Castle, so I'm really excited about this book. I'm so glad to see it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quote. I`ve been debating back and forth on reading this one. I loved her first book. Looks like I may have to read this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to read her first, although my niece gave it a strong recommendation. I think I will start there and then consider this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds so fantastic, why am I still allowing it to languish on my shelves?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved The Glass Castle and can't wait to read this one! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been waiting to read a review of this book - I also loved The Glass Castle. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for the review!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was very impressed by Glass Castle, so it's good to hear this one is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the idea of short chapters and an engaging voice...sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved The Glass Castle and am so excited for this one and now based on your review I am even more excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really loved the "Glass Castle" and I like the idea of a "true-life novel."

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read this one, or The Glass Castle. I feel as if I am missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this terrific review. I've had this book on my TBR list for a while, but now I've got to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have this one in my TBR pile. I like Walls' writing style too. Thanks for the great review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that quote too.
    I read Half Broke Horses and I loved it too. Her grandmother is such a remarkable woman.
    I am a huge fan of Jeannette Walls. The Glass Castle was gripping. I recommend her books to all my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.