Monday, December 21, 2009

198 - Alice I Have Been; Melanie Benjamin


Alice I Have Been; Melanie Benjamin

For Alice Liddell Hargreaves (AKA Alice in Wonderland) life has been an amazing journey, but as she approaches her eighty-first birthday, and looks back on her life, she realizes to most people, she is known only as "Alice".

When Alice was young, her father was friends with Charles Dodgson (AKA Lewis Carroll) a professor who loved photography. Much of his work and interest seemed to focus on young Alice. In fact, much of what was described, involving the two of them, seemed a bit creepy and inappropriate. Alice's mother, a stern and cold woman, became so concerned about Dodgson's relationship with Alice, that things between them came to an abrupt end. Why and what really occurred is never revealed.

Told in the first person by the now elderly Alice, the story covers her childhood, young adulthood, and later years.  The narrative is vivid and never contrived. The author does a beautiful job of capturing the voice of Alice throughout the various stages of her life.

MY THOUGHTS - If you love good literary fiction, or stories set in Victorian England this book is for you. A terrific character study and fictional account of what life was probably like for Alice. I'll be looking for more novels by this talented author. RECOMMENDED.
 
(Sent to me by the Publisher)

27 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is a recent favorite of mine. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm putting this on my wish list. Sounds like a good book to curl up with this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also like to read this book. Thank you for your concise review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to read this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to read this one as well. Sound really interesting and I am always curious about the stories behind the books or the people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to read this one. It sounds so interesting. A year or two ago I read that Charles Dodgeson used to paint young girls naked. How or why the parents let him do that is a mystery but it's so creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great and an interesting spin on the background for Alice in Wonderland. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book! - especially the delightful section when Alice was a little girl. Thank you for your review; mine will up in a couple weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to read this book. It sounds like such an interesting story! Thanks for reminding me to move this one up on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's on my list. I am glad that you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen a lot on this book! Don't know if I am familiar enough with Alice in Wonderland to read it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to read this! I am a little worried that it'll be too creepy and make me not want to read Alice in Wonderland any more; but on the other hand, Alice in Wonderland is already pretty creepy on its own. I'm excited for this to come out properly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a copy of this and I have heard such great things, I need to read it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this sounds great! Can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to read this book - I've pre-ordered a copy through Amazon. And I think reading your post was the tipping point for me to join the Victorian Reading Challenge, since I could use this as one of my neo-Victorian selections - thanks! (I think! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started this one and then hopped to like four other books. I am going to get back to it before it comes out in January so i can review it. Thanks for the good review.!

    And thanks to for being a loyal blogging buddy as well.

    Happy Holidays!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. This one sounds superb!! I've been wanting to read Alice in Wonderland so I think I might read these back to back...excellent review on this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot wait to read this one! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the cover that you've posted. The book sounds intriguing! Thanks for your great review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a copy of this and now I'm really looking forward to it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have this one here and really should get to it. Glad you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm reading this one for a tour so I'm glad to see you liked it. Makes me more anxious to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed this one too, even though I have yet to write my review on it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.