Saturday, December 19, 2009

197 - Rainwater; Sandra Brown

Rainwater; Sandra Brown
In this touching historical novel Ella Barron runs a boarding house in Gilead, Texas. It is 1934, the Great Depression, drought, poverty and people are losing their homes. Life has not been easy for Ella. She has a ten year-old son Solly, who is prone to outbursts and in today's terms would be called autistic. One day the local doctor visits Ella with David Rainwater, who is hoping to rent a room. The thing is Mr. Rainwater is terminally ill, and Ella is not sure that she can handle any more stress and pressure in her life. However, she needs the rent money to have enough money to live so she agrees to let him live there.

Mr. Rainwater begins to show a genuine interest in Solly (and Ella). He seems to have a way of interacting with little Solly, and it is he who discovers Solly's amazing abilities. Ella is so grateful for the concern Mr Rainwater has for Solly and she begins to care deeply for him in return. There is one touching part in the story where Mr. Rainwater and Ella are discussing Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms" and a question is posed: "Can one be happy they have read a book when one knows in advance that the ending might not be happy"? For me to say any more would lead to spoilers.

MY THOUGHTS - RAINWATER is a wonderful little gem of a book (fewer than 250 pages). The story has several plot elements that all work together to make this book a winner: hatred, racism, poverty, the power of love, and an ending that I was not suspecting. READ THIS BOOK.

 

16 comments:

  1. I rarely read romance, but this sounds really good! I will keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books set during the Depression for some odd reason, so this does sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a touching story, Diane. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Diane! To be honest, I haven't read a Sandra Brown. But one of my closest friends is a big fan. I guess this is the perfect book to start out with, since it's a short one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll definitely put it on my list. I think Sandra Brown's books have grown in depth over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is on my readar screen. I'm so happy to see the big green smiley face! Glad you enjoyed it and hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Sandra Brown! I have this one on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read Sandra Brown. This sounds like a wonderful book. I'll put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, Diane.

    Though I've never read any books by Sandra Brown, this one sounds like it's up my alley. I'll be adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will I will read this book!!! Sounds great and thanks for helping me pick up Sandra Brown again!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has caught my eye. I'll add to the ole wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does indeed sound like a great book, and it's going on to the wish list. I am glad that you enjoyed it so much. I will have to keep you posted as to what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you liked this one. I've got a copy waiting for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This doesn't sound at all like what I usually think of from Sandra Brown...is it the same one that writes mysteries?? Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Thanks for the New Years wishes! The baby is due Jan 31. I can't belive s/he'll be here in 4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa...it is the same Sandra Brown (just so much better...LOL). Best Wishes for a beautiful, healthy baby :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.