Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday - The Season of Second Chances


Waiting On” Wednesday is hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine.  What book are you waiting for to be released?  Here's my pick:



Pub Date: March 30, 2010 - Henry Holt and Co.

(about the book - amazon)

Coming-of-age can happen at any age. Joy Harkness had built a university career and a safe life in New York, protected and insulated from the intrusions and involvements of other people. When offered a position at Amherst College, she impulsively leaves the city, and along with generations of material belongings, she packs her equally heavy emotional baggage. A tumbledown Victorian house proves an unlikely choice for a woman whose family heirlooms have been boxed away for years. Nevertheless, this white elephant becomes the home that changes Joy forever. As the restoration begins to take shape, so does her outlook on life, and the choices she makes over paint chips, wallpaper samples, and floorboards are reflected in her connection to the co-workers who become friends and friendships that deepen. A brilliant, quirky, town fixture of a handyman guides the renovation of the house and sparks Joy’s interest to encourage his personal and professional growth. Amid the half-wanted attention of the campus’s single, middle-aged men, known as “the Coyotes,”and the legitimate dramas of her close-knit community, Joy learns that the key to the affection of family and friends is being worthy of it, and most important, that second chances are waiting to be discovered within us all.

7 comments:

  1. This reminds me of another book I read recently.... of course I cant think of the title but it has a snowglobe on the cover....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I hadn't heard of this one!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I hadn't heard of this one...but it just went on my list. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pick. It sounds fabulous. I think the book Sheila may be thinking of is Mary Kay Andrew's most recent:The Fixer Upper (which I read a review copy and really liked). Your pick is going on my list now!
    Happy New Year, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one either but it sounds quite good. I always like a story line that involves house restorations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the premise of this book. I will have to watch for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't yet heard of this book, but it looks like an interesting read. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.