Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday - The Book of Fires


“Waiting On” Wednesday is hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine

AUTHOR: Jane Borodale
Pub. Date: January 21, 2010

About the Book (amazon)

Reminiscent of Year of Wonders, a captivating debut novel of fireworks, fortune, and a young woman's redemption

It is 1752 and seventeen-year-old Agnes Trussel arrives in London pregnant with an unwanted child. Lost and frightened, she finds herself at the home of Mr. J. Blacklock, a brooding fireworks maker who hires Agnes as an apprentice. As she learns to make rockets, portfires, and fiery rain, she slowly gains his trust and joins his quest to make the most spectacular fireworks the world has ever seen.

Jane Borodale offers a masterful portrayal of a relationship as mysterious and tempestuous as any the Brontës conceived. Her portrait of 1750s London is unforgettable, from the grimy streets to the inner workings of a household where little is as it seems. Through it all, the clock is ticking, for Agnes's secret will not stay secret forever.

Deeply atmospheric and intimately told from Agnes's perspective, The Book of Fires will appeal to readers of Geraldine Brooks, Sarah Waters, Sheri Holman, and Michel Faber. 


What's your pick for this week?

10 comments:

  1. This does sound good! It's funny because the list of authors whose fans might also like this one are all authors I haven't yet read but want to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Year of Wonders caught my eye immediately. Will be looking out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, does this ever look like something for me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good book, I hope you enjoy it. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me on "reminiscent of Year of Wonders." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow this looks really good!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound really good. I love your Waiting on Wednesday button. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one I am waiting on as well! I can't wait for it to hit the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great, Diane. I actually went and pre-ordered it even though I have a Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to this one, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.