Monday, December 28, 2009

200 - Saving CeeCee Honeycutt; Beth Hoffman







 Saving CeeCee Honeycutt; Beth Hoffman


Twelve year old Cecelia Rose (CeeCee) Honeycutt is the sympathetic narrator of this marvelous coming of age story set in the early 1960's.  CeeCee's life was anything but normal. Her mother Camille is mentally ill, and often lives in the past (1951) the time when she was crowned, Vadalia Onion Beauty Queen. Her father Carl is a traveling salesman, unable to cope with his wife's behavior, he is gone for long periods of time, leaving Cee Cee to watch over her mother. Camille's favorite pass time is shopping at the Good Will Store, always adding to her collection of prom gowns and fancy shoes.  She is the joke of the neighborhood when she strolls around town in her red lipstick, a prom gown and a tiara.  CeeCee is friendless (because of her mother), so she escapes into the world of books, schoolwork, and her kind elderly neighbor, Mrs O'Dell.

When CeeCee's mother dies tragically, her father arranges for her to move from Ohio to Savannah, Georgia with her great-aunt Talullah (Tootie) who she has never met.  She must leave her father, Mrs. O'Dell, her school and the only home she has ever known.  Little does she realize it, but great-aunt Tootie, her cook and maid Oletta, and friends will be the best thing that could have ever happened to her. Together these wonderful women provide CeeCee with the love and laughter she so desperately longed for, and in the process they enable her to come to terms with her past, and to embrace her new life.

MY THOUGHTS -  A sad, but hopeful story with memorable characters you will not easily forget. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is an amazing debut novel. It is one of those rare books that will stay with you long after the final page is turned. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.



(Sent to me by the author for review)


Checkout this great video about what inspired the Beth Hoffman to write this wonderful book.

18 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I really want to read this one now. Thanks for sharing. I really love stories like this... it seems very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take the "thank you" photo of the dogs? Awfully cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas...I can't take credit for the photo (just the words)..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa...I SO LOVED Tomato Girl. This one is not quite so dark as Pupek's Tomato Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my books to read in January. I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book, too and will have my review up before the week's out. As much as I loved CeeCee, I think I loved Oletta even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen raves about this going around on twitter. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this one to read too. I loev when a book and it's characters stay with you for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does sound very good, Diane. I'll have to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had this one on my watch list for a while. I'd like to read it one of these days. It sounds quite good and that cover is simply terrific. Nice review Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love books like this! Thanks for letting me know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been waiting for this book, too. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love coming of age stories. This one sounds really sweet although the premise sort of reminds me of Tomato Girl. I'm glad to hear you didn't find it as dark as that one. Will add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a penchant for reading books about mental illness, so this book sounds like something that I would really like. Hopefully I will get a chance to add this book to my collection soon! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely sounds like my kind of book, thanks for bringing this one to my attention. I'll seek out Saving CeeCee in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the reviews for this one are shining! I have it on my TBR List.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.