Monday, December 14, 2009

194 - Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine and a Miracle; Dennis, Nethery and Larson






I saw this book on the bestseller list, and the animal lover in me said...."read this book".  So happy I did....sniff sniff sniff".  Nubs, is a story about an Iraqi pack dog, barely surviving,  whose life was changed when he met Marine Major Brian Dennis. Brian and the dog (he named Nubs) formed a special bond as Dennis shared his meals, gave him lots of attention and a offer a warm place to sleep.  Things changed fore Nubs when Dennis had to transfer locations some 70 miles away, and could not take Nubs with him.  Nubs was not about to give up on Dennis that easy.  What happened next, is a touching story that will surely bring tears to your eyes....but don't let that discourage you....READ THIS BOOK.  (Ages 4 - 8 and the kid in us all).

You can watch the Brian Dennis (and Nubs) interview with Meredith Vieira on the Today Show (here).

11 comments:

  1. I've read about Nubs before and I think he's a remarkable dog. I'm so glad he found Major Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a such a touching story. I was just over at a friend's blog (Caribousmom) where she was talking about what the vet found in a recent ultrasound. It's heartbreaking. I could probably use an uplifting book like this right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for a good dog story. This sounds like something my young cousins would like too. Christmas present? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could imagine where this might be going ... and I can feel the tears starting already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I have to know before I read this - does the dog die? I absolutely cannot read this book if that's the case! There's something about me and animals - I'm WAY too sensitive about that! I can't stand to read books where there is animal cruelty or death, regardless of cause!!

    You can email me privately to answer if you don't want to give anything away!!

    This book sounds wonderful and I hope I can read it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to read this book! I'm a dog lover and a first grade teacher. I'm going to check my school library today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O my gosh, I am going to have to read this one. I'll let my husband borrow it...it'll make him cry though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter and I loved this book! It's such a feel-good story. Glad you liked it, too.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful relationship. After reading the book, I was unclear about the ear-cutting. What is its function? I've read it's to make the dogs look tougher, but is there more to it than that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charley, I was not clear on the "ear cutting" either. All it mentioned was to make the dog "tougher", as you pointed out???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard about this remarkable story on the news awhile ago and thought it was just wonderful. I am glad that you liked the book, and I think my daughter and I would as well. We are the animal people in the family, so this is going on our "to-read" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.