Saturday, July 4, 2009

100 - My Abandonment; Peter Rock


Caroline is a 13 year old girl, who lives with her father. Her father is a gentle but haunted Vietnam war vet, and for the last four years, the two have called home, a little make shift shelter in Forest Park, a large nature preserve outside Portland, Oregon.
It is there in the forest where Caroline is home-schooled by her father using encyclopedias and other books from the library. The two wear camouflage clothing, to avoid being seen by helicopters which pass overhead. They avoid contact with other people to avoid being detected, and her father teaches Caroline daily survival skills. For example, she learns that if you sharpen a pencil, you must pick up the shavings to remain undetected. The two make occasional trips to the grocery store and library, but before long they are detected by a jogger and the authorities intervene. Soon their entire relationship is questioned, and things change dramatically.
My Abandonment, was an interesting and somewhat haunting audio book. I enjoyed Caroline chronicling what their daily lives were like. I also was touched by the way she seemed to be able to calm her father’s paranoid dreams and thoughts. On the negative side, there were a few unanswered questions when this story ended, which for me was somewhat disappointing. Despite this it is one of those stories that I will continue to think about for some time to come.
RATING – 4/5 / COMPLETED – 7/4/09
Where From - Library


14 comments:

  1. I've heard this book is good, but this is the first review I've seen of the audio. It sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this book before reading your review. It sounds interesting - I like the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this book on my list for awhile after reading a fabulous review a couple of months ago for it. You have just reminded me of it and I shall move it up my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean - Caroline was in my head for a couple of weeks after reading. I just couldn't stop thinking about her, and wondering if my ultimate conclusion about her and her father was really true. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book. The one thing that you get from the book and not the audio is the acknowledgements and you see where Peter Rock got his inspiration for this mesmerizing story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to go look this book up online because I thought I had heard of it before. I checked to see if it was a true story because I remembered reading something like this in the news a few years ago.

    I was surprised to see that it was a recently published novel. Then when I visited the author's page it all made sense. He based it on a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. Haven't heard of this one before.

    I have given you an award. Come and see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this book until your review and you've definitely made me want to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this one before. What an odd life they lead. Thank you for reviewing it. I'm curious now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like such an endearing, tender story. Nice review.

    Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, just wanted to let you know that I've tagged you for an award over at my blog here.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOu know I'm always looking for good audio! Definitely going to have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this book and it was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard this is a great book, and have been looking forward to reading it. It has a really interesting and unusual plot, something that you don't find everyday. I am hoping to get my hands on a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.