Saturday, July 11, 2009

105 - Black Out; Lisa Unger













Black Out, by Lisa Unger

I started out listening to the audio book and was enjoying the reader a lot, but the story became a little confusing to listen to, so about half way through I got the printed version from the library. This is Lisa Unger's third book out four published. I've read them all and sadly enjoyed this one the least. Here's the plot line:

Annie Powers seems to have the perfect life: wealth, a loving husband and a beautiful daughter, but all is not as it appears.

In reality Annie is a damaged woman who was known as Ophelia March as a child. "When my mother named me Ophelia, she thought she was being literary. She didn't realize, she was being tragic". Ophelia was born to a couple who had no clue how to raise a child. Her father was a tattoo artist who left early on in her life. Her mother, always distant, was too busy searching for love instead of nurturing a child. Ophelia's mother hooks up with a serial killer named Frank Geary who is on death row. Her mother attempts to get him a new trial and prove him innocent, all the while Ophelia is being ignored.

If this isn't bad enough, she lets Frank's son Marlowe move in with her and Ophelia. His is a manipulator who begins to take advantage of mother and child, and things go from bad to worse.
In an attempt to get away Ophelia fakes her death, and resurfaces as Annie Powers.

But you cannot escape ones past. She is haunted by her past, and is unsure of what is real and what is imagined, and she is soon believing that her past is not dead at all.

The plot method for telling this story was extremely confusing as the author jumped around too much, in my opinion. Given the fact that the story is a combination of real and imagined events, this only added to my confusion.

Don't get me wrong, Lisa Unger writes some amazing thrillers. I suggest anyone who has not read her starts out by reading Beautiful Lies; it was very very good.

RATING - 3/5; COMPLETED - 7/10/09; Library Book

6 comments:

  1. Some books just don't translate to audio well - it sounds like this might be one of those. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I listened to on audio and had no trouble. I prefer her on audio, but I'll take Unger anyway I can get her. LOVE her books.

    I think a lot of times it's how the reader/listener gels with the narrator. This just might not have been a good book for you to listen to and it would have been better reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will start out with Beautiful Lies...that is one of the reasons why I find it hard sometimes to follow along with audio. I think I have to read the words for the pictures to form in my mind or something!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a great idea with poor execution. I am sorry this one wasn't great, but I may be looking at some other books by this author. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad this one didn't work out for you. I really enjoyed Beautiful Lies and had high hopes for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry this one wasn't as good as the ones before it in the series. I've been wanting to try this series for some time now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.