Monday, July 20, 2009

110 - When the Sun Goes Down; Betty Breuhaus

When I was asked to read and review this book, my response was "sure--cool cover". While some people might shy away from books about planning your own funeral, I thought hey if we made out our wills, why not read this book. I've already accepted the fact I'm not living forever.

In When the Sun Goes Down, the author offers thought provoking suggestions in planning the celebration of your life. From traditions services to some creative, unique events which I never thought about, the options out there are too many too mention in this review.

The book is only 160 pages (12 chapters), however, almost every page contains helpful information on this subject people don't seem to openly discuss. The topics covered are:
  1. Benefits of a Funeral
  2. Funeral Homes
  3. Disposition of the Body
  4. Cemeteries
  5. Type of Service
  6. Fundamentals
  7. Service Basics
  8. Service Enhancements
  9. Service Accessories
  10. After Party
  11. Obituaries
  12. Ethical Wills
Also included are references and a Personal Funeral Planner. A serious topic, but not too dark, the book also includes some illustrations and epitaphs of the monuments of some well known people.
Certainly, not a book everyone will move to the top of their wish list, but a well done reference guide that will help people who enjoy taking control, to have a say in their final celebration.
RATING - 4/5; COMPLETED - 7/20/09; My Stacks (Review Book)

6 comments:

  1. It might not be a book that everyone would want to read but it is an extremely important book to read for sure. My hubby and I have talked about these things but you're never really too young to get it down on paper! Thanks for taking the time to read and review this one for all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of an "Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know about Your Funeral but were Afraid to Ask"!

    I think my husband would freak out if he saw this book on my nightstand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely an important topic. I just know I'm not ready to read it right now, though. Thanks for the review.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely important to read something like this, but I think at the moment, I seem to be surrounded by it, without reading it. I know really we should all plan, I just find it so morbid. Though have to say, absolutely lurrvve the cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've often thought about this very thing, but I had no idea that there was a book out there to help with it. I want to be able to exert some type of control over these things, as it is an inevitable situation. Thanks for reviewing this book, I will have to put this one on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a well thought out treatment of an important subject. This book could really help a lot of people. I'm glad you reviewed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.