Tuesday, July 21, 2009

111 - Roadside Crosses; Jeffrey Deaver











Most of us have probably seen at least a few "roadside crosses" along some highway, memorializing the individual who died at that spot in of a car accident. In Jeffrey Deaver's latest book: Roadside Crosses, home made crosses start appearing along a California highway with no name on them, but with a date in to the future, as a killer announces his intention to kill. Even more disturbing is the fact that the killer seems to be using personal information obtained through blog posts, and other social networking sites.

Kathryn Dance is in charge of this case, along with Deputy O'Neill. As a subplot, Dances mother is arrested for her role in a mercy killing.

The entire book takes place over a period of just four days, and addresses many hot topics: right to live versus right to die, internet addictions, blogger's rights and a few more controversial topics. There were some great twists and turns to keep me reading at a fast pace, but I actually would have preferred if the story was just a bit shorter and focused just on the "Roadside Cross" aspect.

All in all this was a good thriller. I did not read the first book in this series: The Sleeping Doll, but it really did not seem necessary.

RATING - 4/5; COMPLETED 7/21/09; Library Book

8 comments:

  1. Sounds good and spooky. There is something that really chills me about crosses that show up before someone has died there. I may have to check this one out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The creep factor seems high on this one!! Crosses before the victim dies...scary!! Sounds like a good book. I haven't read Deaver yet but I would like to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed both of these books, but I find myself feeling slightly annoyed with the feeling that I'm being smacked over the head with the whole "body language expert" thing. Other than that, I liked them both.

    I really enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have to get to his Life's That's Way....

    ReplyDelete
  5. His books do tend to move at an amazing rate and cover a lot of ground. I would find the time sequences completely unbelievable if I were critical of that sort of thing. Thankfully, I'm not. I just love a good story! :-) I can't wait to get this one from my library!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I hope to get to this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another writer whose books my son reads. I read The Devil's Teardrop and A Maiden's Grave and enjoyed both of them very much. It almost sounds as if he packed too much into the story. But then I bet that's how a police detective's life feels during an investigation like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read this one. I haven't read Sleeping Doll yet so it is good to know it can be read out of order.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.