Thursday, July 9, 2009

103 - Dismantled; Jennifer Mc Mahon




Dismantled, by Jennifer McMahon
The summer following graduation, four college friends spend the summer together in a remote cabin in Vermont. During their summer at the cabin, the group commits acts of vandalism, and other serious pranks. They even name themselves "The Compassionate Dismantlers". Rule # 1 for the group is: "to understand the nature of a thing, it must be taken apart".
The group is headed by Suz Pierce, a sexy but jealous, with a motive for revenge. When things get out of control, and Suz dies, the group disbands and vows never to speak about what happened at the cabin in Vermont.
Some ten years later two former members of the group, are now married, albeit unhappily, with a nine year old girl named Emma. A somewhat lonely little girl with an imaginary friend. When a former victim of the disbanded group's prank commits suicide, after having received a "Dismantler" type postcard, it appears a long buried secret has not been buried for good.
Full of twists and turns to keep you guessing long into the night, my only complaint was that this book, at some 422 pages, could have been shortened considerably and would have still been just as effective. If you a looking for a fun thriller, give Dismantled a try.
RATING - 4/5 ; COMPLETED - 7/8/09; Library Book

9 comments:

  1. this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds interesting. You've made me curious! Great review!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh you have my complete attention with this one. Just the type of book I like - lots of suspense and twists and turns. Love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know, it was a bit long, but it still kept my attention. I agree with Scrap Girl - I love the cover. I also liked the idea of this book - I just wished it was a little cleaner. Thanks for suggesting PROMISE NOT TO TELL - I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to tell you that the cover of that book just creeps me out. I think I would have to keep it covered while I read the book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, after this great review I feel that urge to RUN to the library and grab this one!! I will try to show some restraint though and request it for late August!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first noticed the cover of this book and thought it sounded so good. I'd love to read it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure I would like this one because I don't normally go for thrillers, but I am glad you enjoyed it, and it does have a very interesting cover.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.